Dilemma

Last night at 3:30 am I finally dissolved into tears. Amelia has never been a great sleeper. She goes through cycles of repeated night awakenings, followed by weeks of solid night sleeping. Some nights she will wake up as often as 10 times others none at all. I found myself guzzling Coke Zero and Diet Coke to keep awake. Ever since we returned home from Jordan she decided napping is not for her. For the first week I let her cry for 2 hours in her crib. The second week I took naps with her in our bed. The third week she decided that sleeping in her bed at all was not for her and naps only if mom physically held her.

I am TIRED. Amelia needs to nap. I need mommy time. I've run out of ideas on how to teach my little girl how to sleep. We've tried everything from schedules, to crying it out, to complete surrender (sleeping with us). Nothing is working. Gosh, my eyes are tearing up as we speak with frustration. She is so crabby now it is very difficult to make it through the day. Partly, she is sick (but the meds should be working); partly we may not try one system long enough; partly I am human. I hate to hear her scream: "Mommy I want you" at any time of the day. We've let her "scream it out" for a month of Sundays, it works until something else comes along. I would never pray a sleep-whacked child on anyone. Whenever I think about the prospect of adding more kids to the mix I shudder. That makes me feel even worse! Of course we want more kids, but my body screams for some rest first. What a predicament!

Comments

oh man you poor thing! wish I was there so I could watch her and let you take a nap! hope it gets better soon!

Popular Posts