Widow's Mite


Today in Relief Society we had an awesome lesson on Fasting. The spirit was so strong! It seems lately the spirit is not as strong in my life as it should be. It is my fault for not reading the scriptures as often as I did during my single years. Serving a mission is a dream now of uninterrupted spiritual feasts. Squeezing in 20 minutes of study and prayer should not be a problem here in Sidney since my days are not filled. Last week I made a concentrated effort to study and pray for 20-30 minutes while Amelia naps. My sacrifice: blogging and email. The feelings of the day were well worth the reduction of blogging.

While in Jerusalem my main purchase was a widow's mite, beveled into a necklace charm. I love the story in Luke, how the widow was surrounded by Jewish Elders paying exorbitant sums of tithing money. The widow dropped her two mite's into the tithing box and went on her way. Often I think of her. Was she fasting, what was she praying for, and what happened to her petitions? I am sure her small sacrifice was repaid 100 fold, maybe not in the ways she expected but she was praised by the Lord for her faith. I carry a mite like the one she paid to remind me that part of being a member of this church is to give our ALL, but to give it in secret. I'll never forget the pomp and circumstance of the different religions in Jerusalem, I can honestly imagine a wisp of a lady dressed in humble clothing paying her tithes completely unnoticed, surrounded by outward expressions of worship. I understand quite well now that the Lord expects quiet worship and service. What a perfect reminder on this Fast Sunday.

On another note: we spent the afternoon napping (Justin and Amelia), crocheting (me), and playing with Amelia. Justin played play dough "snakes" and "snowman," horsie, and coloring. It warmed my heart to watch them interact! Love it!!

Comments

I loved your comment in RS about the Widows Mite! That is amazing you have a real one, it is so beautiful! It was a wonderful Sunday lesson and I need to recommit to my scripture study on a DAILY basis!!

Happy Sunday!
Natalie said…
I, too, have always been intrigued with that story. Sounds like a great start in your new ward! Thanks for the insights.
Natalie Sue said…
What a good reminder. And so neat that you have that widow's mite. I love that story.

And thanks for your comments on my blog! And for the help with the good books!

I was thinking about you yesterday as I was looking through my pictures. I'm so sad you are gone! Where ame I going to find someone as good as you? I got pics taken at Sears. (Here is me with my thumb down and tongue out!) Anyway, I'm glad that the people seem SO nice in Sidney! It's great that you are doing so many fun things and that the ward does fun activities. They are lucky to have you!
Taylor's said…
What a great post. I needed something uplifting. Thanks for reminding me how to better my own life.

I miss your guts!

Popular Posts