Ditch the Crutch




































The girls went on a girl trip down to Denver. The boys had to stay home and go to work and school. Ha ha ha. We left shortly after 1 pm to drive down to the Yoder's home. My cousin Alyson had her baby girl late August, she was born about 6 weeks early. Alyson named her Rachel after her sister who is one amazing lady raising a gaggle of boys. Amelia had yet another follow-up appointment with Dr G so we left Sunday to visit with Alyson and her family. My Great-Aunt Elizabeth was also there helping Alyson out with her older 4 kids. We had a grand time visiting! I took some photos of baby Rachel since I promised her I would when she watched my 4 during Amelia's hospital stay back in May. I think that was a pretty even trade! The ladies made a hamburger dinner with corn, beans, and fruit salad. Yum. Evelyn was positive I would leave her again, she was practically glued to my leg the entire visit. Alyson's deck and basement were mid repairs or replacement. We snagged a spot of carpet to sleep on that night. Evelyn and Amelia loved holding the baby when they were given a chance. Evelyn decided the baby's name was Alyson and not Rachel. She asked today when we could visit the temple and see baby Alyson. The next morning Evelyn belted out a blood curdling scream when she looked out the door to find the van gone. Alyson moved the van because the road was getting a new slurry seal. She thought we were stuck there for days with the van back at the car hospital. Every few minutes she'd scurry to the door in case the van magically appeared. I saw her shoulders sag in relief when we walked down the street to leave...the van was parked around the corner. Alyson inspired me to nix all electronics on school days, it is a very good thing. Not that the kids really got much screen time at home after school but the new rule eliminated the whining for devices. Now they can focus on reading, writing, and arithmetic...and free play.

Monday we arrived to the hospital a bit early. We visited the hospital radio station! The girls drew pictures on a huge white board wall. The tech showed the girls how to work the studio cameras and request music. We had to leave before Amelia could DJ a song or two. Her X-ray this visit showed significant remodeling between the gap in her femur from the osteotomy. Dr G said Amelia can ditch her crutch! We mused over ideas like running over her crutch with the van or setting it on fire. Too bad reason won the game in case she needs it again. She is supposed to keep up with PT since her left leg muscles are still quite atrophied. Still no running and jumping. She can resume ballet IF she refrains from jumps and running around. The muscle stretching and moves will help her leg recover. Dr G said her hip joint looks great considering the damage the disease created. It looks like her joint is remodeling and healing. After her appointment we ran down to the gift shop. Amelia chose a new unicorn to add to her collection as a ditch the crutch reward. Evelyn was quite please with a piece of gum and a small pony. We drove an hour north to visit the Ft Collins Temple. Evelyn asks about it all the time. We drove the extra hour since we were "nearby." The grounds and temple are closed as the area is prepared for dedication next month. We walked to the gates and admired the temple as best we could. Evelyn was quite pleased. I wanted to check out a Ft Collins consignment store I hear good things about. We scored lots of thrifted clothes for the fall season. Yasss! The drive home was quite boring and long.

It is the time of year the marching band practices for the Oktoberfest parade. Tuesday morning we followed the band during our morning walk. The band sounds the best I've ever heard! I caught Josie bobbing her head in time to the music! Evelyn talks about the band whenever she hears a musical sound outside.

Evelyn started pre-ballet on Wednesday. She was happy to don a ballet bathing suit. Not so happy to get her hair fixed up. Not happy I dropped her off at the studio instead of the swimming pool. Mrs Margaret said she did well until a couple younger kids started crying near the end of the lesson. She is a sympathetic crier, so was crying when I arrived. She perked right up when class ended with a visit to the treat box. I felt giddy over her chubby thighs and baby belly encased in her ballet attire. Be still my heart! So begins the taming of the Shrew!

Each day I set Evelyn on an activity or two that is semi-educational. This week we worked on painting skills and cutting with scissors. I know, you cringe. I cringe. I have already accepted this child will end up with chopped hair. It is practically inevitable. While I worked on laundry I set her up washing her Barbie dolls she decorated with markers. Heaven! Her eyes sparkled something fierce as she scrubbed those dolls clean. After the sink scrub she decided the dolls needed a tub washing. So I helped her fill the tub for a nice mid-morning polar bear plunge. She insisted on cold water. Even Ellie binky got a nice bath. After the bath she carefully wrapped Ellie up in a towel and stomped out the excess water. I about died laughing on Friday when she pranced out of the house with red pants on, Cinderella shoes, and an iPhone shoved in her back pants pocket. Laws, I am in trouble. As I got dinner ready one evening she ripped off her clothes (a common occurrence). The uncommon occurrence was when she put a spoon between her cheeks. I did not notice until she had a bowl of soup in front of her. She whips the spoon out from it's holding space and eats with it. At least the dirty end was not the part in her cheeks. Gag me.

Josie amuses her little self with constant blowing of raspberries. I die each time I catch her with her lips pursed and spit flying from her efforts. She had a huge diaper blowout this week. It was gross, it was sweet potatoes 2.0. She got an impromptu bath after that mess. Everyone says she looks exactly like Everett now. I guess there is a strong resemblance.

Phillip lost another tooth. The tooth got misplaced last night so he was quite disappointed the tooth fairy did not come. Maybe she will try again?! He is doing much better with spelling homework. I think he came to realize that if he just does it he can be done and then play. His reading skills are also improving again. He is my "why" child. Goodness, he can ask questions. I found him and Everett in the van this week working the captain's chairs recline feature. The leather squeaks as it moves position. They were highly engaged in a rousing game of fart blaster chair when I happened upon them.

Since we are finally dialing back the electronics after our hard year of set backs the creative juices are once again running strong. I pulled out board games each night and played with the kids. It is nice to spend time like that teaching them how to play games together. This weekend I noticed the kids did not really devote much time to electronics instead choosing to play outside or with toys. Phillip was the only whiner, he loves his iPad turn a little too much. As a family we worked on the yard for a bit. Justin mowed, the kids played, and I cleared yard rubbish. Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day, perfect for working outside. Amelia had a quite a tantrum Saturday morning. She was not keen on helping with house chores so lashed out at the boys and acted like a sea witch. I made her sit outside until she could act like a human again.

I am freaking out. Amelia is starting to fill out...at age 9 1/2. No way puberty starts this early?! She need deodorant every day, needs hair washed all the time, and is needing to wear undershirts. I see a bra in her near future. Good gracious soon our little girl will blossom into a young lady. I am so ready to watch her transformation. She will continue to be a wonderful girl. I love her testimony. I love her when she treats her siblings with love. She is so smart it hurts. Gorgeous to boot.

Comments

Popular Posts