Fourth of July version 2022









Justin was called to organize the ward pancake breakfast the morning of the 4th of July. He puttered about over the weekend on the large propane camp stove, it was not quite functional so he got that ready. He also purchased a flat top to make pancakes on at Cabela's. Justin took the boys early to set up and start cooking. Brother Leavitt mixed a cup of cake mix into the batter...gracious that concoction was delicious. The rest of us arrived dressed in our patriotic finery ready for some good food. Turns out I also left Everett at home, still snoozing away. I was under the impression he was with Justin, Everett would not wake up so Justin left him...so did I. Little stinker stayed awake until 3:30 am reading the 6th Gryphon Chronicles book. The kids were game to take patriotic photos after breakfast. Justin and I found some crazy sunglasses to kick this year's configuration up a notch. On our way home I stopped at a fireworks stand for sparklers, pop-its, ground flowers, and a Roman candle per kiddo. 

I spent the afternoon making baked beans, potato salad, fruit pizza, and cherry ice cream. Amelia and Phillip pitted all the cherries while watching Amphibia, their newest favorite show. We brought our contributions to the Ostlers for a delicious feast. Amelia rallied the kids into line dancing while Dusty grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats. My potato salad was runny, course I forgot to drain the marinade before adding the dressing. Evelyn and Josie painted my cheeks with cute designs after dinner. Phillip wanted a Patriotic fork on his cheek, I messed up the flag colors. We taught Sara how to play Codenames. Around dusk we headed down the street to the Young's home for their annual fireworks extravaganza. Everett (eggs) and Alyssa (toast) immediately joined the arsonists fray. Gah! So exciting! Amanda had fun patriotic music blaring. We brought food and drink items to share with everyone. I found the last few packages of light sticks at Walmart, that 100 pack went a long ways. Glowing children raced around as fireworks, legal and illegal dazed our eyes and pounded our ears. I love the 4th of July! I love our country and am very proud to be an American. 

Tuesday the little girls closet and I had a come to Jesus moment. Evelyn threw out all the clothes searching for her patriotic dress...conveniently hanging up. It was time to thin the herd. It was time to remove winter clothes either for Rachel to wear or to keep for Josie next year. The closet looks fantastic, the rest of their room is another matter. We drove out to Eagle Island State Park with the Hansons and Flakes as a pre-girl's camp activity. We had our kayaks along for everyone to enjoy. The lake was gross full of algae and duckweed. Soon the kayaks were piled high with mounds of stinky duckweed. The kids had a game going of who could ambush the most duckweed on someone else's head. After that game ran its course they decorated each other with mud. I was a bit annoyed because no one wanted to go, I felt obligated to go. Once we arrived the Hanson's decided to show up and hour late. Sara called me in a panic wanting Ambree home just 40 minutes after the kids started swimming, the drive alone takes 35 minutes. Justin stopped by on his way home to get Ambree back to Sara by 7 pm. It was a late start time of 4 pm, we did enjoy a picnic and the later afternoon once we got everything settled. Amelia had to drop her girl's camp stuff off by 9 pm to the Young's home. We did not get back until 9:10, so just off loaded three kayaks for the ward to use during camp. Everyone took a shower, those microbes felt extra creepy.

I dropped off Mia for stake girl's camp early the next morning. She looked so cute with bubble braids in her hair. I took myself to the gym for some alone time. The rest of the day I worked on editing family stuff from April and May. Our house felt extra quiet with Mia gone. 

Thursday morning we all headed to Roaring Springs with Alyssa (Everett's friend) and Taylor (Phillip's friend). Alyssa got me in for free, I had three free passes thanks to the school reading program, so I only had to pay for Phillip and Taylor. Course I forgot the reading passes so had to go back home, that was a waste of time. Phillip, Alyssa, and Taylor waited by the front gate until I got back. Silly kids should've gone off to play like I told them to. It was harder for the little girls and I to go on rides since we were an odd number and Evelyn was scared to ride alone. We mostly played in the wave pool, the kiddie area, and the lazy river. It took us over an hour to locate Everett and Alyssa for lunch. We left the park for a picnic style lunch near our van. Roaring Springs had the cutest squishmallows for sale...Amelia walked out with 2, well I walked out with 6, two for myself and one for the kids. We could probably afford to sell and live in the country if I would stop buying squishmallows. I have to say the number of butt cheeks hanging out was impressive. So. Many. Butt. Cheeks. Not even cute butt cheeks, but butt cheeks in all shapes and sizes. Maybe I should've pulled my shorts into a wedgie, nah, I might actually fit in. Taylor went home sick around 6 pm with a headache. I think he was dehydrated after two consecutive days at Roaring Springs. Phillip was more than happy to play with Josie in the wave pool while Evelyn and I went on the toilet bowl ride a couple times in a row. We headed home at close, full of sunshine and chlorine. Ah, the smell of fun is overpowering.  

Late Friday night Amanda Young called me needing someone to drive up early Saturday to Camp Ee Da How and bring 6 girls home. One of the leaders unexpectedly went home early on Friday feeling sick. The drive up to Lake Cascade is gorgeous! I wish we could've stayed for some lake time but the girls wanted to go home. Amelia showed me some of the pretty wild flowers growing around camp. I heard that camp was on the disaster side this year. The Stake Leaders wanted the YCL's to plan the entire event. Amelia went to most of the YCL meetings since January. After every meeting she reported that 2-3 girls micro-managed everything, shot down numerous fun activities, instead opting for a very basic plan: relax by the lake with their phones. Essentially, that is what camp was like. Two wards were allotted lake time for 3 hours, thankfully riding on the boat was the highlight. Other than lake time, 3 devotionals, and a table set up to make friendship bracelets, there was no plan. Half the wards advised their girls to leave devices at home. The older YCL's used texting to communicate at camp, only half the girls received information. There was no dress code, several girls dressed in skimpy bikinis. The food: oh my gracious, the stake planned for half the amount of girls so each girl was only given 2 sandwiches a day and a skimpy salad for dinner. Amanda sent her husband to the store for $200 dollars in extra food. Mia's favorite part was riding on the speed boat and tubing. Brother Kroon talked about having a positive view about yourself. Another lady talked about having positive thoughts, you have 8 seconds to change your view before it's internalized.  Testimony meeting was optional, Mia was glad our ward opted to have one. Ambree's non-member friend Kiana actually bore her testimony! That touched Mia's heart. She had a good time but missed the fun activities prior girl's camps enjoyed. I wish the YCL's all had a voice instead of the 3 popular girls, the leaders should have intervened and at least offered a framework. Teenagers have a hard time operating without some parameters. I'll step off my stool now. Brother Flake's trek story is coming to mind, "Are you part of the problem or the solution?" We had a short conversation about being proactive and not letting things roll over us, be part of the solution instead of the complainer. My hands are crusted with dirt from playing in my garden. Gloves are so inhibiting, you can't feel the dirt properly. I spent a good two hours tying up vines, pruning, fertilizing, watering, and etc. This year's garden is especially lovely! We love finding the random strawberry or popping a fresh pea pod into our mouths. The peas are pulled out now, I planted some romaine lettuce in their spot.   

Comments

Popular Posts