Second Week of School Sick-pocalypse


Not much going on except lots of sick kids. Evelyn started the spree with a runny nose, then cough, then ear infection. All the kids went down one by one. The kids stayed home between 1-3 days each sicker than dogs. It was magical...not. I have to laugh about the boys. At one point they were both on the cough side by side moaning and complaining about their headaches. Maybe that was because they were smelling each other's feet. 

Tuesday was a crazy busy day. Phillip and Evelyn are now seeing Nina at her office. I am trying to establish a schedule where Phillip does telehealth one week and office the next just to reduce the amount of absences. I was able to bring chicken bacon wraps to a family welcoming a new baby. Jenny was nursing when I arrived so I was able to stay a moment and assemble plates of food for her and the kids. Amelia and the little girls started their dance classes. Mia is in Jazz and the littles in Acro this semester. Between classes the boys had an Open House to meet their teachers. Everett is completely jazzed to get a trombone. Jeremy helped me find a decent instrument with his amazing Guitar Center connection. Phillip is given a chance to learn the drum set, so I also got him a snare size practice pad, a kick pedal, and kick pad. Exciting musical possibilities for us this year. Mia's Open House was the next evening, she was excited to show us around, especially her choir teacher and photography class. Mrs Sene asked me to accompany the choir this year for their concerts. I am a terrible pianist, more just following my own rules than the music. I will give it a try...when I have extra time. 

Most of the week I worked on getting my piano studio organized. I moved (swung) the library cabinet to make a small enclosure for the piano. That gave me extra wall space to hang music posters, a magnetic Grand Staff thing I made, and a dedicated space to keep all my fun music supplies together. This year I charged a $20 curriculum fee for my 24 students. With the money I invested in new music books (like Disney songs), games, copies, candy, and lots of hands on Montessori stuff. The crowning touch is a fun hanging lamp I installed in the corner to add light in that corner. 

Wednesday we helped pick the first batch of ripe peaches from the trees in our ward's rows. The trees needed the ripe fruit picked so the green fruit would ripen. I am unsure if we are heading back next week to pick again. Mia and I met two possible piano teachers, one lady was very strict and dedicated to theory. The second teacher we met was much more personable and had a great approach. I loved how she says to play piano and not to practice piano, a small verbal shift with a powerful effect.  

I really wanted to spend the weekend in Utah but with all the kids showing varying levels of sickness we decided to stay home. I was relieved to have more time to finish my piano lesson projects, finish editing Phillip/Evelyn's birthday photos, and clean the garage. The garage enjoyed a fantastic summer, it was time to clean up. Cleaning was stressful, so many emotions and strong personalities vying for dominance in our family. 

The kids love watching Flex Seal commercials. They are about as entertaining as the Old Spice commercials. I hear the kids quoting the salesman Phil Swift numerous times each day:
like a handyman in a can
I just sawed a car in half
Now THAT'S a lot of damage

Comments

Popular Posts