Justin's Birthday

 



How did this month fly by so quickly already? Feels like I just introduced Christmas music, next thing I know we only have 3 more lessons before our winter recital. I had 20 minutes to get spaghetti sauce made while Mia taught Oliver his lesson before my next lesson. I was cutting onions when Evelyn charged in demanding something, my attention slid off my task while my hands kept going. The short of the story is I sliced off a chunk of my middle fingers nail and finger tip. It was quite strange to look down and see a piece of my finger tip mixed into the pile of onions. I calmly asked Evelyn to fetch me some toilet paper before my finger started to profusely bleed. I fished out my piece of flesh then went upstairs to bandage it with Sara's help. I went through two more heavy bandages before the bleeding trickled down. My piano students noticed the gory scene, only let me know when my bandage couldn't soak up any more. I tried to clean it off the next day but the gauze was stuck in the wound. I about passed out three times trying to soak off the gauze. After lying on the floor for a good while decided to just wrap it up and try later. I had dreams about the gauze healing inside my finger...no worries it came off the next day. Do you ever have those moments...like I wish time could just rewind 1-3 minutes and avoid something simple that could easily be avoided? Yep.   

Justin's birthday was anti-climatic at best. Just a regular day at work and crazy town at home. I photographed a newborn baby that morning then had a studio session at 6 pm for an established client family who was visiting here from California. In my downtime I made Justin a 3 layer key lime pie, it was delish, almost toooooo delicious. Justin requested chilaquiles verde. Thank goodness for Walmart pickup! I ordered the ingredients Monday afternoon and picked up the order after piano lessons Monday night. He was celebrated at work with balloons and cake. Justin got some new motorcycle gear for his gift. We tried out the birthday candle Mom sent home with us. It would not stop playing the birthday song, someone suggested we toss it over the fence into the Ostler's yard. I chucked it over the fence so hard it stopped playing! Score. They tossed it right back into our yard. Justin gratefully started his 37th year with hairless ears and lots of smiles. 

The darling baby I photographed is the 3rd baby of guys piloting Blackhawk helicopters! I know two of the guys are good friends but the 3rd is in a different unit. It was fun chatting with an Army guy about my family history and growing up as Military brats. Their little son had the most gorgeous skin. 

Wednesday evening was a special Primary program practice from 6-7 pm. We wanted to practice in the chapel once before the program so the kids could get a better feel of the logistics. The program took about 35 minutes with just a few adjustments and tweaks. My finger did not hurt more than a gentle twinge so I played the flute obbligato without a problem (dang it...I was feeling cold feet coming on). 

Everett was home sick on Monday with a painful headache and upset stomach. Evelyn was home on Wednesday and Thursday, Josie stayed home on Thursday as well with sympathy pains. We caught the winter colds running around school and people this time of year. Evelyn stayed home Thursday morning babysitting Josie while I grocery shopped. She was thrilled to earn a little reward for her efforts, which meant not picking fights while I was gone. I had the girls attend choir since they were more chipper after lunch. I made 7-layer dip for dinner to take to MCO, gosh that was delicious. My main objective this practice was getting the kids into concert order by height separated into colored rows. We worked on assigning the kids colored dots. Next day I was given the concert logistics with opposite colored lines than the logistics they gave me last week. Sigh, it's all about being flexible. Brett gave wiggly David the crazy eyes stare a few times, David was not phased at all. I moved him to the back row. 

Friday I finally made time to process all the ripening tomatoes picked off the vines before it froze. I stored 4 boxes of tomatoes, over the past 3 weeks 80% ripened enough to make into something. I froze 10 cups of tomato puree for soup or spaghetti sauce. The rest of the tomatoes were roasted up with onions and garlic for tomato soup.  I volunteered to bring soup for an MCO leadership dinner at Kami's home. Justin worked from home so he could help motivate the kids to clean up before our weekend visitors arrived. The kids and I worked on cleaning the loft area and regular chores. Justin and I drove up to Eagle for the dinner with Brett Stewart and all the other coordinators. It was fun to finally meet everyone, put a name to a face. 

Saturday morning started early at 8 am with MCO dress rehearsals at Skyview. Evelyn and Josie went with me at 8:20 because Ambree was not ready (she thought rehearsals started at 8 pm) and Phillip was whining. Sara volunteered to run the older kids over at 9 am. We finally found the right entrance behind the school. I had four amazing parents to help me get the kids lined up and into the rehearsal at 9 am. It was crazy town with the full orchestra, grand chorus, and all the youth choirs lined up and down the halls and cafeteria. This was the first time the Younger Singers have attended a dress rehearsal besides the run through right before the concert an hour it starts. Justin picked up Josie at 9:30 am. I stayed and helped where needed until the rehearsal was over at 11:15. We had a full day at home of cleaning the garage and yard waiting for us. Justin was asleep with a headache, the boys floundered and complained for two hours before I finally just told them to go watch until Justin could help direct the boys outside. The girls were with me cleaning the garage from all the clutter made refinishing the table and chairs. Gosh that felt good to get it all put away and get the van parked inside the garage again. Done with the cleaning part we hopped in the truck to run a couple errands, one to donate the table and a bunch of stuff cluttering the laundry room. Josie was very sad to let her prized unicorn and Minnie Mouse go, she cried and snuggled the toys before giving them to the DI. She left her stuffies with a magical wish of joy for the next owners. I needed drain cleaner for the disgusting kid's bathroom sink. We stopped at the library to return the 4 bags of books we checked out last month. Phew. After dinner I attacked the girls room with my cleaning spells. It takes a spell to find the carpet in their space. 

The Primary Program went quite well! The kids learned and sang 8 songs. Each class got up and sang a verse of Follow the Prophet instead of every child speaking a part. Ruth chose 6 kids to speak a short narrative about the prophet and song we sang. I loved how it all came together! Of course it felt rather discombobulated to me but I hope the audience saw through the hitches! Everett dressed up as Noah the prophet. He sang with his entire body, it was quite amazing. John, Courtenay and kids arrived around 6 pm for a short overnight stay on their way to Oregon for Thanksgiving with the Mitchell's. I made pork vindaloo on a whim...completely off the menu plan. I did not want to eat shredded pork again this week. Sweet baby Jane, it turned out deliciously yummy and simple. We wish for a longer visit, but will take what we can get. The cousins are thrilled to play for whatever time we can eek out. Charlie is thrilled with the muscled dress-up Everett wore a few years ago. Josie gave Charlie her baby Yoda watch since she doesn't enjoy it anymore. Lucky boy. We are very excited Jeremy and Yulia and coming for the week Monday morning. Yay! I am excited for a piano lesson break.     

Comments

Popular Posts