Seeing Santa







Monday came, the first school and work day after a holiday is brutal. The boys went to school, the girls stayed home needing another day to get over their nasty coughs. Justin worked from home so all in all it was a quieter, cosy day. The girls were disappointed they could not join preschool music, did not want to share our germs. I was not feeling stellar but constant doses of baking soda and water staved off the worst. It is crazy how effective it is. Amelia worked on her speech presentation due that day. She recorded her speech assignment which was a directive piece. Amelia chose to explain how to make sushi. She spent an hour working on the final touches and the recording. She looked cute in her pretty top and PJ bottoms! 

I had a full newborn session Tuesday morning with the sweet Overall baby, Everly and her four older siblings. I quite enjoyed the session once Everly reached milk coma stage! Kim picked up Flynn and Jackson during their school lunch period for sibling photos. As I was cleaning up my mess another gal texted me wanting a newborn session. Her in-laws are in our ward and live just behind us. So Friday I got to photograph another 2 week old baby named Leighton. Those Salinas babies are adorable. Leighton had the most relaxed fingers I’ve worked with in a very long while.


We did not have MCO on Thursday so I did Christmas and food shopping from 9 am until 4:45 pm! I was at Walmart shopping for 4 hours! Got Christmas stuff, paid, stashed it in the van then went back in for the food. It was easier to separate the expenses that way. Then I went to Michaels, TJ Maxx, and Hobby Lobby. It is nice to have 98% of the shopping finished. Justin stayed home sick with a tummy bug. After dinner I stayed up late sewing 4 line leader ropes for the Young Singers in the 4 color groups used on stage to organize the kids. The frayed cobbled ribbons in the box were trashed. The concept was easily made with fabric sewed into a tube, turned, ribbon handles sewed into sandwiched between two layers. I also rehemmed Everett’s concert pants which were a bit too long because he prefers to wear his pants lower on his hips, he had them hiked up when I hemmed the first time. Justin corralled the kids into doing a decent job on their chores  so the house would be presentable for my next newborn session. The boys carried in my bins of wraps and outfits. Justin helped put the girls to bed so I could finish that project. My back and feet were aching and swollen by the time I fell into bed.  


I finally started editing the last batch of photos for this year. I am grateful for the extra income piano and photography provide. I forgot that the Elders were coming for dinner! Thank goodness they texted! It was on my calendar but did not make it to the front of my brain. I quickly made Hawaiian chicken bowls with the boys on grill duty. The newest Elder recently arrived from our same stake in Arizona! Justin knew his Dad! We started the #lightthewold initiative on 01 December. 


Our Nelves made an appearance the day after Thanksgiving! Innej answered Evelyn’s note asking who the Nelves are. We have Nitsuj, Innej, Naejam, and Nosnap. The Nelves are finding notes in the tree a few times each week. The kids found Christmas squishmallows (small ones) and a small gift to kick off the season. We’ve heard tinkling bells a couple times and knocking a couple of other occasions. Evelyn decided it was better to get used to the Nelves than banish them outside. Josie really, really wants an Elf on the Shelf. Our Nelves are not keen on that idea, the imposter Shelved Elf is not in their favor. Everett asked is he has his own Nelf in training. He was very excited to get a response! His Nelf is Nnylatter. 


Saturday morning the boys worked on raking leaves from the ornamental pear tree out front, it is holding on to most of its leaves still but the most recent rain/snow storm caused it to drop  enough to cover the lawn. We made a special excursion to Santa’s Wonderland at Cabelas in Boise. Justin has very mixed feelings about Cabela’s, still makes him feel sad and upset. This might be our last year visiting there. We’ve collected 14 photos with a Cabela’s Santa over the years. We enjoyed a special lunch at Chik-fil-a. Eating out is a scarcity now that inflation is through the roof. It’s hard to fork out $8 for a pound of butter, or $7 for 18 eggs. Josie and Evelyn were very excited! This year the kids scored janky Santa glasses. Amelia cavorted around the aisles on a hobby horse, warms my heart when she acts like a kid. The kids had an epic pop gun battle. Josie asked Santa for a snow globe. Evelyn wants Sabrina St Cloud doll. Everett asked for a Gearjits set. Phillip wants bagels (for the 4th or 5th year). Amelia asked Santa to surprise her with something she would like…gasp! That is a lot of creative license. The boys shopped around the store for jackets and men stuff. I led the girls on an excursion to TJ Maxx and Carter’s for Christmas clothes that fit Evelyn. Phillip and Everett helped wrap Christmas lights around the front porch while I pruned back the rose bushes. My hands got quite a beating from those roses! After wrapping lights all over the bushes I discovered the lights were not functioning. Had to unwrap it all and figure out which strands worked, only 2 out of 5 were functioning. Finding the broken bulbs, fuses, and such is about the worst job, I hate it. So I used the two working strands, made do and let it go. Good job me. Dusty helped install a sensory swing in the loft, he has mad engineering skills. I am hoping the swing can help Evelyn and Everett manage their mood fluctuations better. It is a huge hit! Best of all? I can unclip it when it becomes a nuisance. 


Amelia worked hard for about 6 weeks practicing with a group of youth for a multi-stake musical presentation. Their program was lovely! Justin and I attended the performance Sunday evening. There were several solos, instruments, and 4 choir pieces. I only recognized 1-2 of the songs they sang, I enjoyed hearing lots of music we don’t hear over and over. I feel quite annoyed over the coming Christmas program. I worked hard making visuals for the kids to learn a song compiled by Blake Gillette “Mary’s Lullaby and Joseph Went to Bethlehem.” This week I learned the Primary is actually singing on Christmas instead of the week before as planned. Then I learned that a gal is playing a medley that includes When Joseph Went to Bethlehem. Sooooo, lots of miscommunication and I get to teach a new song with only two 20 minute sessions to practice. I sent out all the information, which song I planned to teach and it was approved. I don’t see why the Primary can’t sing the song even if it repeats some of the same tune from the viola medley right before. I’ll swallow hard and stop kicking even though I’m annoyed and upset. Bleh. On a good note, I was called to be Camp Director for this coming year! Sister Young and I met for a few moments during the week, she lightly suggest doing something different instead of camping. Felt like a fire when she said that…so I am really considering a Glamping theme! Stay in a hotel or AirBNB for two nights, explore Boise, do baptisms, hike, swim, enjoy bursts of Spiritual joy. Seems like during these hard times straying from the ordinary camping scene is a good fit for our particular group of girls.  

Comments

Popular Posts