Read Across America






Columbia High School hosted a volunteer gala to thank all the parent volunteers that support the sports, arts, and general workings of the school. I was invited for hemming all the concerts clothes, planning events, and chaperoning the trip! I did not read the invite until Saturday evening, the RSVP date was back in February. Alas, there was plenty of room so I got to attend. Amelia was invited to serenade the gathering with piano “elevator” music before dinner. She played for a good 40 minutes! Nice work. The Culinary Arts Pathway students to prepare, serve, and wait the tables. It was all very fancy! Justin showed up, the VP quickly made sure he had a seat and service. We listened to several CHS graduates talk about Columbia and the impact programs made in their life during and after high school. We sat next to the Izatt family and Rebecca Leach, both choir volunteers. Hats off to the students for the yummy lasagna, salad, and delicious dessert. 

Amelia and I had a mandatory parent meeting Tuesday around 6:30. The boys went early to Top Golf for a YM activity. We are getting very excited about the NYC trip. During the meeting Mrs Sene reviewed the itinerary, passed out forms to sign, laid down the behavior law, and wrote down lots of notes to make the trip successful. Phillip earned a last minute trip to the Nampa Air Museum. His teacher Mr Z called me during first period, said a few students missed school so he could take extra students. Phillip was chosen on the fly because his behavior is acceptable. He said it was a fun visit, even bought himself a new hat. 


Reagan hosted a fun Read Across America event all week for Dr Suess’ birthday. Monday was hat day, followed by sock day, crazy hair/clothes, green eggs and ham, and places you’ll go. We had a fun time dressing up for literacy. I wore my galabeya from Egypt on Friday. Next week Mrs Harp will host the Book Fair. Evelyn and Josie saw me rolling out pizza dough for taco pizza. They rushed upstairs to don their pioneer dresses! Soon I had Laura and Carrie helping me make pizza. I had no idea pioneers ate pizza, guess I was wrong because they were in MY kitchen! 


I had the BUSIEST weekend in a very long time. I photographed 4 newborns and 2 babies between Friday evening and Saturday evening. Friday I rushed home from work hoping to have enough time to bust out all my studio supplies. I photographed twin girls the “Oso” family welcomed, I photographed their 16 month old son Matthew last year. Kylie and her husband were both Black Hawk pilots. Early Saturday morning I photographed baby Abigail and her 3 siblings. Justin and I were very impressed with the family, just had a good feeling about them. Down to Earth folks that believe in God. Miss Everly came over next. She wore a darling onesie Kim wore when she was a baby, a handmade creation in robin’s egg blue. I had 30 minutes to eat and rest before Tarah Norland brought her sweet new baby girl for photos. She is on the 5th grade team this year. I will say her class is about the rowdiest group ever. Baby Faye was the daintiest little baby I’ve seen in a long while. Three out of the 4 babies all had dimpled chins! Right after baby Faye, Dahlia came over for her 9 month photos. Somehow Diego was convinced to sit in a chair for the steep cost of a smarties roll of candy. I cleaned up a bit, mostly gathered it all together for the children to help me put away. Then off to grocery shop at the late hour of 7 pm on a Saturday. Evelyn and Josie had fun photographing each other before my studio stuff got packed up. It is much easier to pose an 8 year old like a newborn! Ha ha. 


Josie begged me for weeks now to have a fancy movie night. I told her last week, come hell or high water, we would have a movie night on Saturday. Evelyn and Josie got snacks ready for the event. Josie taped name tags to the couch and loveseat so everyone would have a spot, Justin switched his tag for his favorite perch. I brought home a couple snacks to add for the movie treats. I popped fresh popcorn to snack on. We bought tickets from Josie, used REAL coins for our tickets. I am glad the gils scrounged up enough coins for everyone, we didn’t need to use our own coins. I bought the new Wonka movie at Walmart, it rent was $20 and buy was $24. The movie was so refreshing and uplifting! 


This morning I played my flute with Linda Minor for a special musical number. I flubbed a note, an obvious flub, my brain stuttered for a moment. Otherwise, all the practicing paid off! My body was aching after a full week of work, mommy jobs, and 6 photo sessions. Now to carve time to edit everything. I tell ya, working full time is no joke.  


PS: if you ask Phillip a question is typical answer is: OINK 

Comments

Popular Posts