School is Back in Session! Phillip turns 15!











School started bright and early Monday morning! I went down at 6:45 to wish the older 3 a lovely first day and have morning prayers. Imagine my surprise when Amelia was not downstairs and her light still off. The boys were wandering around hesitant to check on her, burned if you check burned if you don't. Amelia's alarm clock did not go off, I woke her up and she immediately burst into tears. She was traumatized. I felt so bad as she cried messing up her make-up a couple of times. No time to get all cute-sied up for the first day. She was mad at the boys for not waking her up, they were scared to check! I checked on her later in the day, they made it to school in time and school went ok. Everett is still not feeling his best, he walked for cross country this entire week. Phillip did not say much about his first day of high school except "foot smacking good." Amelia started crying in the evening because she didn't know what to wear, all her shirts are no longer acceptable. Oh the pressure! 

The littles and I got ready as quickly as possible, packed lunches, snapped first day pics, and scootered off to school. The new schedule is jam-packed. I get 30 minutes between front duty and the specials rotation to get everything organized for the day. Classes run from 9:20-12:20 with no breaks, even to use the bathroom. I get 23 minutes for lunch (if I'm lucky) then classes back to back until 4:15 pm. Front duty takes around 20-30 minutes which means I have to clock out right at 4:45 with no time to clean up. It was fast and furious for 4 days straight. I only saw Evelyn on Wednesday during her specials class, Josie I see when she passes for recess and lunch plus her specials time. I updated the rules and procedures slideshow used last year with items I neglected (like what to do in a fire drill) and created some fun games for the students to play. For kinder and first Mrs Harp and I are halving their specials time so we see each class twice a week for 25 minutes, so we switch half way through class to reduce downtime. I'm still on the fence about how effective that will be. 

During front duty I was told to only let kinder parents pass Tuesday to the back. Wednesday I was told to stop parents...until that changed when parents threw temper tantrums. Thursday I almost lost my skin! The front office said no parents but the kinder teachers said parents could cross all week. Communicate! It's easy! 

The band carpool is magical. I only have to drive when practices are on Tuesday and every other Friday afternoon. Justin took Evelyn to her first orthodontist fitting Tuesday around 4:15. I walked in my classroom after front duty was over with only Josie in sight. It took me about 20 minutes and a phone call to Justin to remember that he had her. Mrs Gingerich and I were a bit concerned for a few moments. That said, it is super nice to have Justin help out with some of those appointments. 

Thursday evening Amelia and Oscar had their first big choir event of the school year called "sundaes & swag." I volunteered to help measure students for choir dresses and tux sets with Sister Skeens and another mother. Amelia and Oscar planned and organized several games for the students to play while eating ice cream. The point was to mingle and get to know other singers in all the choirs (Treble, Concert, Con Brio, and Chamber). At the end of the evening Mrs Sene gave us the rest of the ice cream and Clive Izatt offered to carry it for me to the van. In the excitement of free ice cream Amelia and I forgot to give Oscar a ride home. He called, a flustered Amelia said " sorry I'm such a space cake...I mean case." We chatted about what space cake would really look like, probably some sort of Little Debbie cake. Har-de-har-har.  

We loved having Friday with no school. I got grocery shopping done in the morning, much better than Saturday mornings. The girls went shopping to find Amelia some cuter shirts for school. We found some cute t-shirts when she really wanted blouses. I loved spending my gift card money at Hobby Lobby with the girls. I got watercolor pencils, beads, and cute fall birds! Thank you Amelia for the lovely present. 

Justin and Phillip spent another few hours working on the truck during the week replacing some squealing part in the engine. Saturday Grenda finally got a cleaner bill of health...Grenda rides again. We cleaned the church Saturday morning. Evelyn and Josie mostly pushed each other around on the garbage can wheel thingy. They were thoroughly entertained. Justin suggested doughnuts for breakfast to celebrate all the August birthdays. Yes please. On the drive over we had an emotional discussion about treating each other kindly. The older kids think I am way too soft with Evelyn, not realizing that she just needs a different approach. They are also neglecting the fact that they acted the same ways at her age. Justin and I agreed to do a better job about responding to confrontations between the siblings and Evelyn. I heard about a psychologist that uses a 1-10 scale in their home to rate emotion levels. I may come home from school and be a 3 while Everett could be at an 8, Amelia a 5, and so on. Those under 5 need more "grace" and patience, those above 5 are in a position to offer more care. It's an easy way to simply signal where you are at without much fuss. 

Our ward experienced several changes today in sacrament meeting. Brother Finch was released from 2nd counselor, he whooped and ripped of his coat while exiting the stand! We were all laughing. Just a few minutes later he had to put his coat back on when he was called to be the Elder's Quorum President. Justin and I don't have callings at this time. I might actually make a year before getting a new calling! 

Today is also Phillip's 15th birthday. Evelyn bought him a screaming goat toy with her own money for his birthday. He is very excited about it, I'm hearing goat squeals every 15 minutes. Phillip is a fun boy. He is fearless and so thoughtful. Justin took the boys out Friday once the girls got back to Cabela's. Phillip really wanted a new sling bag for his birthday. He also got a remote controlled car, a shirt that says "Don't pet the fluffy cows (bison)", a hoodie, fidget pens, and Heroes of Olympus audio books. We get to have a yummy dinner of Cafe Rio sweet pork enchiladas. His dessert of choice is raspberry dole whip. I love you sweet boy. 

Comments

Popular Posts