Titus Branding Party
















We had an amazing time on Saturday with the Titus family and many other families from our ward. Brother Titus is a real bonafide cowboy! The guy who owns the land had about a 100 calves to brand, Greg volunteered to help him out. He called for some help and about half the ward showed up. We showed up around 4 pm just in time to see the cowboys saddle up to help round up the cows and calves. It took them 45 minutes to get the herd down to the penned area. The herd was very skittish and reluctant to come down with so many spectators. After we moved back the cows finally came down into the corral. There were about four cowboys working the herd while everyone else helped pin down, vaccinate, neuter the bulls, and brand the little calves. We were all amazed at the talent those guys exhibited while maneuvering their horses and lassos. Due to a ward boundary change we won a couple of awesome families last month. One family has two tough cowgirl teenagers, they could beat the snot out of any guy who gets too near. Those two girls were pulling calf tails, yanking legs, and wrassling those calves with tremendous skill. Anyone who wanted a turn to help out shadowed one of the girls or their mom before taking a turn. Mostly, I manned my camera and herded kiddos while the other adults worked. Justin gave me a short turn to immunize and another turn to wrassle my own calf. I took the end half, tucking a hoof under my armpit and bracing its other leg with my boot. Justin spent most of the time in the corral helping as needed. I think we felt like city slickers coming to terms with country life. Amelia is not a lover of animals larger than she, I was a little worried about her. She was a little skittish around the Titus's dog, King, a huge mongrel who comes up to my chest. Other than that she watched the whole process imitating the cows. I loved watching her climb the corral fence! Phillip spent most of the time in the backpack carrier. We had some vittles around 8:30 pm just as a storm rolled in from the west, entertaining us with spectacular lightening.

My proverbial hat is bowed for the Titus family and any other hard working rancher. I wish we had more chances to teach our kids how to respect animals, how to work the earth, and govern animal life. I am reading in Genesis this week so was particularly touched at how closely farmers and ranchers live the commandments that Adam was given. There is a powerful truth to earning your bread by the sweat of your brow and the stewardship for naming and knowing the life given you to tend. The wafting smoke of burning hair is still a breath away. What an amazing experience! Of course there are some fun pictures you can view at my picasa web album, just click here.

Comments

Popular Posts