It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas

























All week I worked on getting Christmas stuff out and the living room decorated. Drives me nuts because it took me so long to do a day's work. The top 1/3 of our tree lights quit working. We wanted to decorate the tree for FHE but instead looked at our defunct tree. I got a strand of lights to wrap around the top section. The new strand has a section that keeps blinking off. I am not replacing it since the kids decorated the tree before I could replace it again. Evelyn insisted on wearing Josie's snowsuit (naked underneath) while I worked on the living room. She loved how silky the inside felt on her skin.

Josie started pointing with her index finger. It is adorable. She started it on Thanksgiving day when she pointed at Seth that morning and stared. Hilarious. She is working on cutting bottom teeth this week. Her runny nose turned into croup, she sounds terrible. Josie is also accepting her fate to enjoy tummy time. She can move in a circle, push backwards, and planks! Go baby go!

Our Nelves visited on Tuesday, dropping off cold cotton candy. The kids discovered some Shopkins in the tree on Thursday. We hear bell jingles quite often to remind the kids the nelves are listening. The kids are doing very well helping with after dinner clean-up. They also cleaned up their rooms and the basement in order to visit Santa at Cabela's. By Friday our house looked pretty amazing considering the chaos that happens within.

Phillip brought home 5 pages of homework on Monday. He was sick Tuesday, came home with 6 pages on Wednesday. We achieved full-atomic meltdown over homework. I totally lost my patience after 4 hours of coaxing and helping. I finally wrote on his blank pages, "please give MOM a zero grade!" Torture. Homework is so unnecessary for kids under age 14. I would spend more time reading with him if we were not fighting over homework. Drives me crazy.

I was ready for a mental break come Thursday. Amelia was tired so had a melt down over a stupid, poorly written math problem. I tried to help her understand the world would not end if she just skipped it. Phillip was in a foul mood. Everett had his angry fists ready to compete with his angry eyebrows. It was a day of foul darkness in our house. I made a quick dinner for the boys, the Elders and Evelyn. Amelia, Josie, and I went to the RS Christmas party. You are probably questioning my reason for taking Amelia. She needed some mommy time, I needed some girl time. It was a very uplifting dinner. We shared stories about acts of service either given or rendered. Somehow I ended up sharing the feelings I struggled with since January. I rarely cry, I mean rarely. The last time I cried this year was before Amelia had surgery. I cried, got all choked up. Felt much better afterward! Guess my emotions needed an extra vent after a stressful week. I love the church's service for 25 days this Christmas season. We are following the days and trying our best to serve.

On my drive home I got the prompting to call Bishop about the Betony family. I've visit taught them for 6 years now. I am the only contact they have with the church. Quite a few people ask me how they are and depend on me to relate their goings on. Most of the time my inner voice says, "Well...why don't you call them and ask?" The days of service seemed like a great reason to open our arms as a ward and let the Betony family know we love them. They are inactive because they slipped through the cracks. I really believe if we show them a full measure of love and acceptance that they will come back. Their belief in God is strong. Their sorrow great. Guess I was a little hard on Bishop. Justin showed me an email the next day Bishop sent out rallying the troops in behalf of the Betony family. I had to chuckle. Sometimes I amuse myself.

We went up to Cabela's for our yearly visit with Santa. He was taking a milk and cookie break when we arrived. The kids spread out waiting for him to reappear. Everett spotted him coming up the stairs. His face light up. He ran up to Santa and threw him the biggest hug. I am grateful Santa knelt down and returned the love. It was quite the special moment. Evelyn was quite afraid of the jolly old soul. The boys sat on his lap first. Everett asked Santa for a Power Ranger Zord. Phillip asked for an Ice Dino...and two watches (Star Wars and TMNT). Threw me for a loop! Amelia took herself and Josie to visit with Santa. She asked for a Magic Sketch LCD writing tablet. Evelyn finally got close enough to touch Santa when Amelia was standing next to her. She showed Santa her pretty shoes, earned that candy cane! On our way home we stopped at Hickory Square to check out the Union Pacific mini train. The kids hopped on for a really fast, fun ride. The train driver was having the time of his life going in circles and making figure 8's. Everett snuck an extra 3rd ride when we were not paying attention. He had his arms spread out enjoying his little self. Mia's friend Katelyn came home with us for a playdate. Her mom was manning the hot chocolate table for the afternoon. We returned to Hickory Square at 5:30 to watch the parade of lights. Santa arrived on a firetruck. He light up the town Christmas tree. We warmed our chilly hands with hot chili, hot chocolate, and cinnamon rolls. Phillip ate two full bowls of chili! Jen watched Josie while the rest of us went to watch Moana. Evelyn was not terribly interested. She did not want to stay with Jen or watch the movie. The kids were pretty scared by the lava lady. Even Amelia was freaked out. Still the boys were impressed with Maui. Amelia loved the music. Jen left to visit some friend with Josie while we were gone. She was upset over my lack of diaper bags. I just don't need one. I hate toting bags about. She found a half empty backpack. Jen filled it with 6 diapers, wipes, formula, bottle, apple sauce, baby food, an outfit, and baby powder. She was gone 30-45 minutes. I am still laughing!

Evelyn traded her mayonnaise, cheese, and turkey sandwiches for ham and mustard sandwiches this week. I love her quirky personality.

Comments

Popular Posts