Season of Concerts


We were all up early for school, 6 am in the mornings. Grandpa and Grandma gave all the kids hugs before the kids went to the bus stop or hoofed it to school. Evelyn slept in until past 9 am, she woke up just in time to get her hug. Dad takes a while to warm up his body every morning. He enjoys quite the routine accompanied with conference talks at 3x speed and various scriptures in Arabic or French. I had an hour before the younger kids got up to get some Lane Lance "vitamin L." Is it still a lecture if I enjoy it and participate? Ummmmm?

Phillip kicked off concert season with a performance with the East Valley Middle School band. He joined a slew of other awkward 11-14 year olds in the back manning the drum line. Phillip played the jingle bells, xylophone, snare drums, and practice pads (while the older grades performed). He spent many afternoons memorizing his parts, thanks to my constant nagging. He looked quite distinguished in his black polo and slacks, topped off with a fresh haircut. He read the concert instructions an hour before we needed to drop him off. He is required to wear black pants, he was in a panic unsure if that included his only pair of black jeans. I sped off to Walmart for school uniform black pants just in case at the last moment. That night's chicken soup was so amazingly delish. Evelyn stayed home from school with the nasty cough and sore throat going around. Amelia and Evelyn helped me prepare Christmas cards for posting. We went to the Library and Post Office after school on Wednesday. It was much later than usual to mail my cards. 

Evelyn slept in Tuesday and Wednesday mornings as well. She is still dealing with a dry cough that interrupts her sleep. She's been in my bed or on the floor 6 out of 7 nights this week. I taught piano at the church in the Primary Room so my students could practice on the piano we will use for our recital on the 20th. I hope the kids are ready to go by Monday! Half of my students are slacking this year. Amelia attended an early morning Christmas devotional hosted by the Seminary council. Esther and Clare picked her up at 6 am, saved my bacon. 

Little Miss Leah came Thursday afternoon for a 6 month photo session. I wanted a model to wear some fun outfits I procured several years ago. She was quite willing and oh so chubby. Since my stuff was set up the kids cooperated afterschool for a photo I wanted to photoshop together. Josie hates wearing all the cute dresses I've collected over the years. I bribed her to wear the dresses for photos, just for kicks and giggles. She earned a gas station treat. 

Thursday evening was Amelia's choir recital. She came home all excited because her dance class final was a "ball" at school fancy dress and all. I dropped her off early then ran home to feed the kids and return before 7 pm. Justin's week was really busy with work retreat, lots of business at work and some fun. He made it just before Amelia's choir sang. Amelia's voice teacher played the piano for the Middle School choir! I enjoyed seeing her again, we also saw her in the Grand chorus at MCO. I was very impressed with the East Valley choir. Amelia's group of 8 did really well for their small numbers. Her favorite song was a cute North Pole Elf song complete with elf ears and candy cane canes. I loved how the choirs used the entire auditorium this time, several songs were performed with singers in the aisles giving a surround sound effect. We treated the kids to a Sonic dessert for all their hard work at MCO, with band, choir, and piano.  

I picked up the younger kids from school in order to meet up with the Hinrichs family at the Scentsy complex. Neleigh watched Amelia, Phillip, and Everett every couple days when Evelyn was born to give me some relief over the summer. I also photographed the family for many years over the time we lived there. It was fun to see all the kids grown into responsible adults. Ethan and Jack are military guys, Ethan served in the Army and Jack is still in the Navy. Neleigh is struggling to make ends meet with rising housing costs in Colorado (and the entire country). Tristan is in Sidney working as an auto mechanic. Darcy is working at Scentsy, really wants off the corporate wheel. They bought a 5th wheel to live in as a way to cut costs and retire sooner. We had a time chatting and catching up. Everett was in his own little world fighting aliens of some planet. Josie rocked the darling bonnet Sister Ann made me. I can't wait to send her a photo as thank you. The Christmas lights came on before we left, Josie and Evelyn thought the light tunnel was so fun. The Ostler's met us at the Marriott down the road for a Christmas party they invited us too. Their financial firm threw quite a party with Santa, dinner, candy apples, and gift bags. Everett went right up to Santa and plopped himself right down on his lap! Made me laugh. 

Saturday morning Amelia suggested we do our family gift exchange. She had the gift list worked out and shopping companions paired up. I drove to the nicer Target in Boise for the event. Phillip and I shopped for Evelyn and Everett. Makes me laugh to see what the kids pick out for each other. I happened to find foam lined snow sleds, we broke half the sleds last year. I got them before the next snowstorm, we can never find sleds when we want to go. Justin, Amelia, and I stopped at a fun boutique, Fashion 15, for cute jeans (called I Love You Butt) and tops. Justin was very excited, he was motor mouthing us all with his comments. I walked out wearing a new jean jacket instead of my frumpy pink hoodie. Yasss! Felt like Queen. His good mood extended to cover lunch at Chik-fil-a! We were not about to say no! I was all ready to drive home for food, but chik-fil-a trumps all. Amelia had 25 family names ready for the YW's baptism visit. Yay! I was excited to sell the red table I painted but changed my mind about AND Evelyn's Barbie house. The Barbie house sold for more than the refinished table. I have plans to make the top of Grandma B's hutch into a doll house. 

Church started early today. The choir sang 4 choir pieces as prelude music. We sounded so good! Ha ha. The Flake and my kids started the meeting by singing, If I Were at the Manger. Flynn Overall thought the Primary was singing, he joined the kids up on the stand. Instead of embarrassing him I let him stay and move his mouth. We had a good laugh over that. Primary was crazy loud today, the kids were hyped up on goof balls. I had a headache before church ended, lol. Tonight we are going to look at Christmas lights. Amelia is tasked to make a Christmas activity schedule for next week, let's get the week started with lots of Christmas JOY. HOORAY!!!

Comments

Popular Posts