Butterfly Wedding

 



I decided a couple weeks ago to host Spring School Photos again because it is an "easy" way to earn a bit of money. Today...I am stressed out thinking about all the editing that is on my plate for the next couple weeks. I've got 44 school photos, a first birthday, and Amelia's birthday photos to edit, then on Thursday this week I have a newborn session, and Saturday a 200+ dance company to photograph. Phew, the heat is on again. Only 3 families cancelled this time, two with good reasons of stomach flu. 

Amelia organized a butterfly wedding of Sir Chonk to Lady Chungus. She labored diligently during school to fold many paper butterflies. Evelyn helped Amelia make a runner, decorate the bride and groom, and make a wedding arch. It was a beautiful ceremony. After the nuptials the butterflies dined on well-ripened bananas. We all had a good long laugh! Oh Amelia...we love your imagination. 

Evelyn is making progress with Nina. Last week Nina and I spoke on the phone about a breakthrough event last Tuesday. Evelyn was trying to come up with words to describe how she is bad and couldn't find the words. Nina read her part of the letter I wrote after her latest huge tantrum, Evelyn started crying. Several positive pieces of information came from that particular session:

1. Evelyn feels alone and wishes that Mia would play with her more. Evelyn wants more undivided attention doing what she wants to do. 

2. Evelyn likes spending time with Mom or Dad without other invited siblings 

3. Evelyn gets discouraged when she knows her behavior is bad and acts out more because she doesn't know how to change it

4. Evelyn wants consistency and follow through with positive and negative consequences

5. Evelyn likes choices so she feels in control of the choice and consequent outcome. 

I felt a little confused because I really try to give her choices, consistency, and time but from her perspective we are lacking! It felt more like Evelyn needs more time doing what she loves instead of me choosing the time and activity when I have time. She is the middle girl child, it's hard being in the middle. It's good to know more information! I hope Justin and I can do better to devote time to our kids and give them what they need. Her goodness is waiting to be released. 

Friday morning was spent mounting the kid's art onto large cardboard flats for Da Vinci night this Tuesday. Evelyn and I worked hard getting her Agate project researched, typed up, and mounted on a display board. She is quite pleased with the results! Amelia and I enjoyed some girl time shopping for birthday clothes at Target and Walmart. She was on the hunt for overalls.  

Justin is super involved with work right now. He's putting in the time and effort double time until next week. He worked a full day Saturday this week. 

Saturday evening Amelia and I headed downtown for her birthday photos. We blasted nerdy Broadway music from Hunchback and Anastasia. She went all awkward in front of the camera but we worked through it with coaching. I would hate being on the other side of the camera, especially right now with my big, jiggly belly. Josie's favorite morning activity is to blow disgusting "bum laughs" on my jiggly belly. My belly is sure full of that shortening dough...and makes a great instrument. We saw lots of characters around Freak Alley and hundreds of High Schoolers taking photos at the Capitol Building. I don't think we saw even one modest dress, all boobs and hemlines higher than mid-thigh. Justin met us for a sushi dinner at a joint in Meridian. Amelia reluctantly tried tuna and salmon, she really liked both of my rolls. Justin enjoyed his tempura! We sure love our nerdy, talented, cute teenager. 

Comments

Popular Posts