Pantry Project to Goo Goo Dolls

 




The day of reckoning finally came for the pantry. The girls REALLY wanted a trip to the mall so we went Monday afternoon for a couple hours. I left my wallet in the pantry because it's hard to say no, whatever the girls purchased came out of their own wallets. Amelia and Evelyn bought a cute mixed set of Gravity Falls earrings on sale. Claire's was another popular choice. Josie was like a trapped cat in that store...so much to take in and process. Amelia and Clare did their teenager thing. The pantry project started after dinner. The kids all helped empty all the shelves into the dining room area. I washed out the wheeled bucket used for yard work to schlep the heavy items. That portion of the project only took an hour to empty. My heart swelled to see my 2-year long collection project all on one horizontal space, I think we finally replenished the food items lost during our move from AZ to ID. 

The kids helped where they could but mostly the rest of the project was up to me. The kids would help bring a bucketful of cans, help sort items, inventory our stock, and organize onto the shelves. Phillip and Everett added 3 extra shelves from an extra set of metal shelves I ordered to make a cheaper can shelving system. I also used the extra shelf supports to keep the cans from rolling out. The cans were put in expiration date order. Lots of expired food and condiments made a trip to the trash bins. I have a new list of items to replenish, and a clear idea of what NOT to buy for a while. I finally wrapped up the pantry project Thursday around 3 pm. 

Evelyn and Josie had quite a bit of fun fashioning mailboxes out of cardboard and hot glue. I found them painting the boxes with Oliver directly on the "newish" floor. The previous day the kids had a nail salon going on with no floor protection, they got yelled at. Next day? Same scenario, yelled at for not getting a bag, extra box, or even paper to paint on instead of the floor. Little stinkers. Evelyn also enjoyed playing with Lily several times, she came home on Wednesday with a tiger face. Evelyn took a fun pottery class at Mondae's art shop in Downtown Nampa. She made three hand fashioned projects and one wheel bowl. That girl was in her element! Josie and I helped her paint glaze on her last two projects because she was out of time. We quickly ran to the post office to get Penny's baptism card and gift into the mail. I cannot believe Penny is getting baptized already! Stop time please. I took the kids swimming at 3 on Thursday to get us all out of the house for a couple of hours. The rest of Thursday evening everyone chipped in to get the main floor cleaned up after 3 days of forced negligence. When mom has a big project the rest of the house goes Ka-BOOM. Evelyn, Josie, and Oliver had a rip roaring game of Elf on the Shelf in the girl's bedroom. Made my and Jana's house and McDonalds game look like child's play. We literally could not get into their room due to mounds of clothing and toys against the door.   

Justin really, really enjoyed his Father's gift from the kids and I to the Goo Goo Dolls concert. Josie asked me if the concert would sound like crying babies! Friday was a blistering hot day with temps over 100 and a touch of humidity. Our seats were boiling hot so we left our seats to find ice cream. The lawn space was much cooler. Ironically Bishop and Sister Roundy were at the concert as well! I cringed over the cuss words flowing from the stage and the audience. Blue October opened the concert. Seems like they had quite a following of fans here in Idaho. I am not a huge Goo Goo Dolls fan, however, they put on a thrilling 90 minute show. I knew some songs from the City of Angels movie and the late 1990s. Justin, he was singing every single word. The only songs he did not know were the two coming out in August. We enjoyed hearing songs from their new album. Some lady took a video of Justin rocking out and singing all the words. I am grateful he had the forethought to bring two sets of ear plugs, the music was so loud my chest was vibrating. 

I woke up early Saturday morning, extermination on my mind. A colony of squash bugs moved into my vine garden box. I clipped, smashed, and sprayed as many as I could find. Those stupid bugs ruined my lovely pumpkin vines. There might be some hope to save part of the vine! DIE vile vermin. My potato plants have brown spots which could mean a fungus or mold. I wanted to spray the leaves before the sun got too hot with some copper fungicide. The kids and I drove up to New Plymouth for a visit with Nancy and Richard. Nancy invited us up to pick raspberries. Esther and kids came up for the morning around the same time so that was really fun. Nancy told us some stories about Grandma Crook using a book Mary Hill sent her. I enjoyed hearing Nancy recite poetry Grandma Crook loved. The kids almost died of hunger, ok really just Evelyn. We stopped for burgers and fries, Evelyn was in heaven. My next task was cleaning the girls room, we got through enough to open the door and walk through without threatening loss of life. I finally pitted the second bucket of cherries then processed the fruit with sugar to freeze for ice cream base. After dinner I worked on making 9 pints of raspberry jam before the berries went bad. My pile of ironing was a mile high, that took me until 1 am. Busy week! 

Primary today was crazy. I saw an idea teaching Truth from Elijah with the Primary kids in a large circle. The song is so amazing! The kids were crazy loud, seems like anything new or different causes chaos in Primary. I hope the kids enjoyed learning a new song. Next Sunday is the day before Pioneer Day, should be a fun singing time. 

Justin is crazy busy again with work. He was at the office all week and worked all Saturday. He is catching up on sleep right now. I enjoyed Come Follow Me this week studying 2 Kings, mainly King Hezekiah. Hezekiah (the Lord) offered the Northern Kingdom a way out of the Assyrian's invasion. He invited them to return to their covenants, to celebrate Passover. They laughed and scorned his invitation. Only a few families from Manasseh, Asher, and Zebulun left their homes for the Southern Kingdom, I imagine Lehi's ancestors were part of those folks. The Lord saves families, neighborhoods, cities, countries who cleave to their (temple) covenants. When a people stoops low enough to harm the innocent children and poor they lose their lands, when the people turn away from their covenants. Did the Assyrians carry away the Northern kingdom kicking and screaming? I wonder if most walked away hoping for a new life in the NYC of the ancient times?     

Comments

Popular Posts