Seven Years Old











Seven is a magical age! I had a newborn session right after the girls went to school on Josie's birthday. Since my lights were all set up I capture Josie all decked out for school with her carefully chosen outfit, headband, plain hair, rings, Jellybeans bunny, and basket of Hatchimals. She opened up two gifts before school while Justin was still home. Evelyn "bought" her a gift of 100 sparkly rings. Josie is obsessed with Easter right now so I got her a fun Easter basket with Hatchimal figurines. She is such a happy, cute kiddo. Josie was very excited it was the 100th day of school ON her birthday! She took some light up rings and fruit snacks to share with her classmates. After school was busy with piano lessons and regular stuff. I had to plan dinner carefully in advance because Mondays are crazy. Josie requested bean burritos and orange rice for dinner. My pressure cooker kicked the bucket, thus the reason I had to plan, had to cook beans the slow cooker way. Josie wanted the biggest cookie ever for her "cake." Check! Huge chocolate chip cookie the size of my largest sheet pan. Amelia spent some time coloring with Josie as a fun birthday diversion. We had delicious burritos with red sauce for dinner. Amelia and I went to her piano lesson after dinner. Josie opened her gifts once we got back home. She really wanted a camera for her birthday. I found one that prints thermal BW images on special paper, she burned through 2 rolls of paper in less than two days! So much fun. She wanted koala stuff so got a cute purse, a koala squishmallow, a koala surprize animal thing, a koala Calico Critters family, and a koala from Sara. Beside koala stuff I also found some fun Bluey dresses to wear once the weather warms up. Her cookie cake was to die for delicious, topped with butter pecan ice cream melting on top of warm cookie? Best decision kiddo. Evelyn had a hard time with all the attention Josie was getting that day. Amelia and I heart-attacked her bed before she woke up, Evelyn was sad she never gets heart attacked. Evelyn wanted the cards, extra hugs, and deference that comes with a birthday. 

I caught whatever nasty virus Justin was cultivating while we were gone to Utah. I was super worried about doing the newborn session in case it was COVID. I hardly slept with my brain dreaming up all kinds of crazy scenarios. I felt just fine in the morning so went ahead with the plan. I did wear a mask and use lots of hand sanitizer just in case. The baby, Summit, was the "tightest" baby I've ever photographed. He would not relax his arm muscles. The parents were super stressed since he was a first baby, much anticipated baby at that. He is an in vitro baby! The parents were a bit late, she texted me saying they didn't want family photos, the struggle bus is real. Made me laugh. Dad brought a racing tire to use with one of the set ups! An hour or so after the session my nose started leaking, it was a constant leak for the next two days. Sniff.....!  The worst migraine of recent memory followed. Three days of nausea, light sensitivity, and aches all over. Justin mentioned a bad headache, crickey, he was not kidding in the slightest. I had to apologize for making fun of his man cold. Justin still struggled all week with lingering fatigue, he slept half of the weekend away. My head was hurting so bad sleep was a fond dream that never realized. 

I started this semester with 28 students, this week? I am down to 12, with my boys added it's 14! Only two students are during the day, which is completely opposite of what I need. I would love all students during the day and less after school when the kids need me. The Wedel boys let me know they need to rethink piano because mom is working different hours now and they are also trying to figure out Easton's health issues. Seems like circumstances are stacked right now making piano an extra hard task. 

Josie and Evelyn wanted to work on class and family Valentines for Mom and me time this week. I manned the hot glue gun for Josie. She directed where and what to glue down for her. Her chatter is quite lovely! Evelyn had me help her assemble the Valentines and help her spell out names. Josie told me she really wanted a HUGE stress ball for her teacher because she is "so stressed at school." 

Thursday we had Professor Mendenhall come for rehearsals. The kids also practiced an extra 15 minutes because of last week's cancelled rehearsal. During the last 5-10 minutes the kids sang their songs for the volunteers and the next choirs coming in! The YSC did not need much practice with Shut the Door, and quickly learned most of Jesus is my Friend. They sounded so amazing after just two practices. I had little Lily keep me company, she was not fond of singing and only wanted her mom. After dismissal I had a parent hold the kids inside while another volunteer collected name tags and got coats. I handed out a treat while three other parents led the kids outside for pick up. Mandee decided it was great day to skip across the sidewalk and through the fence to play at the elementary school park next to the church. Her mother was first in the parent pick up, we all did not noticed Mandee's escape. I quickly put a kabash once we could not locate her in the building bathrooms, foyer, basement, chapel, etc. All the coordinators went separate ways to find Mandee. I spotted her skipping outside with her older sister at the park. Phew. I've been sweating bullets waiting to be fired for losing a kid, that is a cardinal MCO sin. It is a weekly challenge to get parent volunteers on the same page, briefed for duties, and routines explained. Each week we get new volunteers, often they are late so they just sit in the back on their phones. I still had my massive headache so thinking was a chore. Kami thought I was stressed or something, she grabbed me in a huge hug telling me it was all over and the child was found. I was not stressing in that way at all, I was just annoyed she got away and trying not to barf because my head hurt. Her sweater was quite comfy, so the hug was acceptable. Ha ha ha. Evelyn really wanted walking tacos for dinner (Wocko Taco). She was pleased with dinner, it was quite delicious. 

It is art mom time this Friday. Josie's class learned about Matisse's still life art work. The kids used oil pastels, managed to get the pastels all over their desks and clothing. I completely understand Mrs Campbell's stress, the kids were all over the place. The students were not listening and ignored all the adults. We closed up shop early because the kids were not listening. Then tears, great Scots, it was a storm with 2-3 kiddos wreaking havoc for all the other students. William flat out refused to work, sat himself in the corner with his tablet. Ms Gingerich's class went much better. I like flying solo! We learned about Da Vinci and attempted to draw a portrait of the Mona Lisa. That was quite challenging, most of the kids did not like their final results.  

Justin hit the proverbial wall again, poor guy is so tired after getting sick. Whatever he caught is lingering with tentacles causing fatigue. He slept half the weekend away including Sunday but still did not feel much better come Monday morning. Working with brain fog is not easy nor comfortable. Grouchy dad is not much fun either. His headhunter is sending him lots of tantalizing job opportunities, seems like when work get stressful he looks at those greener pastures. This week he told me about a job in rural Iowa, he hooked me with the teaser that Adamondiamon is only 3.5 hours away, maybe more if we had to walk. 

Josie questioned how I can remember so many things when my brain is so old. I question that too. Trust me. Evelyn and Josie got the crud over the weekend as well. Evelyn mostly just has a tummy ache at odd times. Josie has a nasty headache and sore tummy. Evelyn begged me to go on a bike ride with her Saturday. I bartered to use a scooter instead which was accepted. We rode to the school park for an hour of delicious vitamin D soakage. Josie was amenable to trying to ride her bike with no training wheels at the school park with all the grass. She was shaking but tried anyhow! Josie caught on within a minute! She could only see that I was right behind her, couldn't see that I never held her up except to start. After a minute I told her she was riding her bike all by herself WITHOUT help! She yee-hawed and took off screaming, "I'm SEVEN!!!!!" Best day ever for little Jojo. One more milestone checked off, no more training wheels. Over the next couple of days she worked on keeping her handlebars steady, turning around without stopping, using her brakes to slow down, and starting with pedals on the bike. We took a break to play alien ships on the new playground area. Each section was a different ship for Oliver, Evelyn, and Josie. Everett and Alyssa were the enemy infiltrators. Sara walked over a bit later to find us deeply involved in the game, she was confused but helped me take over the wiggle stream and capture Everett's ship with the whisker technique. Amelia and Phillip wandered over after a bit to join the party. Justin even walked over to observe Josie's new bike talent. 

All three older kids had a big assignment on Sunday! Amelia and Phillip had the lesson to teach and Everett gave his first talk in church. Everett and I sat down to organize his thoughts for his talk on his favorite part of the Aaronic Priesthood Theme. He loved the part about loving, keeping covenants, and serve with all his heart, might, mind, and strength, so that was his theme. Phillip had an appointment at DQ with Brother Aguirre to review the lesson. He was tasked to come prepared with lesson ideas. We sat down and learned how to give a lesson using the lesson manual. He helped me highlight sections of the lesson, bookmark his scriptures, and generally plan what to say. Everett's talk was great! He spoke clearly and slowly with the spirit. Good job! He was quite nervous right before so we went through some deep breathing exercises to calm those nerves a moment before it was his turn. Justin stayed home with the girls who were not feeling well. Evelyn texted me for 90 minutes begging me to come get her because Justin went to bed and she was bored. Guess someone was not as sick as she portrayed, regretted staying home. I got to use my new batch of rhythm sticks to learn I Will Follow God's Plan. The kids were riveted! Sharla Dance is a guru!

Comments

Popular Posts