Boring Aftermath









Last night of this year, today it is 123123! That must be fortuitous! Let’s waltz. 

Basically, Tuesday and Wednesday was a blur of balloon head, fake fevers (felt chilled and feverish but actually had a temp of 96.7), nausea, sore hips, and fatigue. Maybe it was covid? Can’t smell or taste much the past few days, but it’s coming around again. Amelia, Phillip, Justin, and Evelyn are all feeling sick again. Must be something contagious, maybe a flu? I tried to light a fire on my bum, instead spent half my time prostrate in bed. Grrrr. I did eke out some energy to cut out and start sewing the girl’s “ballgowns” to wear over their hoop skirts. Evelyn is thrilled Emmy also got a hoop skirt for Christmas! I found cheap chiffon fabric at Walmart that was actually very pretty. 


Wednesday I made a short trip to Walmart for essentials, like eggs for chilaquiles. Justin took the kids, minus Amelia, to the rec center for swimming. We were about to go stir crazy. I sewed the bodice pieces for both dresses. Amelia worked on some doll pants while I made salsa and beans for dinner. I promised the kids we would go ice skating before break was over, it was too windy on Wednesday and I was still not feeling well. 


We made Thursday the day to ice skate! Yay! McDonald’s kids meals are coming with squishmallow toys for the next week. I suggested everyone get a happy meal just for the fun of it. Phillip and Everett almost died from hunger, the meal is actually perfect in size if you aren’t a growing boy. We got 5 Archie Axolotl toys and 2 Sharks. Each character had their own playlist we listened to on the drive over to Caldwell. Over the past year I found 7 pairs of ice skates at DI for $2-8 per pair! The rental skates are terrible, so we hoped having our own skates would help keep the foot pain down. We had to wait an hour for the next skating session. I sent Justin to the liquor store for more vodka and white rum, my homemade vanilla is gone. This time I am going to make extract in the instant to cut down on the 6 month wait, supposedly the extract can be used right away when pressure cooked. I saw some MCO friends and a family I photograph for homeschool at the rink. Phillip’s skates are a mondo size 11, they well enough for me to take a few turns around the rink with the kids. Justin treated us to hot chocolate before we went back home. That was nice to get out in the sunshine and fresh air. 


Friday morning I photographed the Rodriguez family here from California for the holidays. The kids were very shy, by the end the kids were finally smiling and having fun! I think we got some true snaps of the kids, especially Nico snuggling his mama. Justin and I packed overnight bags for a stay at the Anniversary Inn in Boise. We went to an endowment session at the Meridian Temple. Enjoyed the peaceful nature of the visit. I was craving Ramen for dinner, the broth and ginger hit the spot. We caught Boys in the Boat at the mall theater around 6:40. There was enough time to peruse the Lego store before the movie. The previews were absolutely terrible, felt like they had to insert raunch before showing a decent movie. One preview was about Black Jesus, but not Jesus. The movie was decent. My favorite part of the book was how Joe’s early life shaped him into the athlete he carved himself to be later. The movie started when Joe was in college, so the early years and his hardships were glossed over. I thought the olympics and races were well-portrayed. We retired to the Romeo and Juliet room at the Inn. Evelyn jolted us both awake at 2:46 am, she couldn’t sleep so called Justin just to let him know. The next morning I found she had called me 21 times before she tried Justin. My phone is muted at night so no texts or calls will come through. I felt terrible AND irritated. She kept Amelia up telling her every few minutes about her insomnia. When she got through to Justin I suggested she go sleep in my bed. That tickled her fancy, she slept until 8 am. I noticed she also sent me dozens of texts. Help! Any moms dealing with insomniac children? We went to Deseret Book for undies and scripture case for Josie. I saw a word per day set for the Book of Mormon study this year! I got it because the idea is intriguing, and I love words. 


We made it home safely, Evelyn wrapped herself around me like a tree bear. She was so tired from her nightly escapade she agreed to take a nap with Justin. Everett, Josie and I played out new game Get Handsy before I had to leave again. Everett needed some hugs and attention. Me too! I had a newborn twin photo session to get photographed. The twins were in the NICU for a week so it was not possible to get the session done before Christmas. Oh my gracious, the girls are Maven and  Maddox! I offered an in-home session because Phillip was sick again at our home. The girls were super sleepy, made my job easy peasy. I was in out in 90 minutes. I finished sewing the skirts on after making dinner and cleaning up that mess. Amelia and Phillip went to the Stake New Years dance, it was a glow party! Josie had quite the Ralph the Overnight hairdresser nest in her hair. She gets terrible nests when she wears PJs with hoods. 


Justin caught my cold, he is in bed for the next two days. I took the kids to church minus Justin and Phillip. We heard the missionaries speak during sacrament. Afterward we sat in the RS for 20 minutes since the teacher did not show up. Brother Minor took the reins, stood up and told a story about his father paying tithing. That was quite a stirring story, giving when it feels impossible to give, then an unexpected blessing. Everyone shared extra Christmas treats after church in our last potluck of the year. We are moving to 9 am church. Yee haw! Bring it on, I am excited to have early church. I think noon church is the hardest. I have a hard time getting out of bed before 10 am. Whelp, I’ve got to go. 


The kids and I are going to play Get Handsy and Gnoming Around until midnight. Happy New Years!

Comments

Popular Posts