Season 6 of MCO





We’re celebrating our SIXTH season with MCO this year. It’s that means 12 concert seasons locally and two, almost three tours under our belts. We love it, we love our MCO friends, the music, the magic of polishing something until it gleams, we even love the chaos. I still vividly remember the first rehearsal, the children were singing “If I Were at the Manger” by the end of the first rehearsal the singers were harmonizing. I felt a lovely measure of the spirit fill my heart while the kids were singing. I participated in two zoom calls this week where leadership talked about new measures and procedure reminders. At the forefront of everyone’s mind is protecting the children and creating a safe space where kids can escape for an hour or so to sing of Jesus. The attire meeting was more of the nitty gritty stuff for attire coordinators. Last year thousands of minutes of footage were deemed unacceptable because the attire was not to standard. We have to crack down this year on hem lengths, bracelets, nails, and shoes. Phillip drove to MCO this week! I sat in the passenger seat as a side seat driver. He did exceptionally well considering the traffic. Josie and I enjoyed an hour out on the lawn reading and resting while Evelyn was finishing up. The trunk cantina opened once again with bean burritos on the menu. 

Evelyn is improving her make-up skills! She can apply eye liner 1,000 times better than I can as an adult. She impressed me with some wings using tape this week. She is also fixing her own hair most mornings! 


Last week I was lamenting on the phone with my parents about the continuing fights over family cleaning time. My dad advised we try out a no-yelling rule in our house. Apparently, there was no yelling in our home growing up. I do not remember this at all! Like, did my mom never yell upstairs for us? Or did they mean never yell in anger? Evelyn told me last Sunday Josie was up in their room crying. Phillip was doing something to aggravate Justin during family clean time. Justin was screaming and cussing so loudly that Josie fled upstairs. Cleaning time is traumatizing. Anywho…after that recent explosion I made an executive decision with a fun twist. After temple table I presented my thoughts and the plan. Everyone (except Evelyn) voted to wear an afro if they scream or yell in anger during family cleaning. I ordered 6 different colored wigs in anticipation of some yelling. I cannot wait to plop the first offender into a fancy afro. 


Josie and Stella finished decorating their cat masks on Saturday. They played Warrior Cats for a few hours after finishing their masks. Josie named her cat Whisper Spring. The girls even drew realistic scars on their arms and legs after an epic battle. I love their creativity. 


One of Evelyn’s dreams came true this week. Stacie Harp knows like 90% of everyone who lives in our area, even folks who own llamas. Of course she has a friend who now owns a farm with llamas and alpacas. Evelyn got to spend 30 minutes with Lilac the llama for some birthday photos. Lilac had a mind of her own, much like Evelyn does. Justin came along for the adventure. Jodi is a school teacher and llama lover on the side! The best part was watching the llamas and alpacas gnoshing down hay in the barn, seriously there were over 20 animals eating hay. Evelyn was in heaven! Now I want a farm with llamas and alpacas to pet. 


Phillip had a marching band performance Friday night. This time they performed the 1st and 2nd acts of the show! Their first competition is this coming weekend. Evelyn went to the football game with Delyla, she reported the show was really good. Phillip’s friends came over before the show for a hang out. The loft sounded like an ape compound with Phillip, Ben, Johvanii, and Bodhe up there. I love that Phillip has a good group of friends. The boys hiked Table Top on Saturday. I saw several hilarious pics and videos of them acting like dorks in the wild. Phillip hauled up the cooler backpack stuffed with fruit snacks and sandwiches. Priorities! I hear it was a peak adventure. 


Everett is crazy busy with theater this week. The show is next week! He is in a lead role AND in charge of the lighting plan. He was at practice each school day and practice on Saturday from 11-5 pm. I cannot wait to see the show! 


Justin is tearing out what little hair he has printing and assembling a case for the FlashForge 3D printer. The filament is touchy to print with (PETG), the printer resets any changes Justin makes with each print, and the instructions are in Chinese. Hooray. I’m grateful he is tackling that project. 


Last Sunday, Evelyn fell apart when we had our temple table lesson on Isaiah. She is terrified about the second coming. Apparently, when the kids teased her a few years ago that stuck with her in the form of mental trauma. She is scared about Jesus coming when she’s at school. We have a family emergency plan that she and I reviewed. She doesn’t want to live forever, that is boring and scary because she doesn’t know what could possibly entertain her for eternity. She is scared of Jesus coming and all the chaos. I think she is scared of the unknown, that stresses her out. I get it. I hope she feels my testimony that God is love, and living His way is protection, not from challenges but protection from evil. I asked in gospel doctrine today how other folks deal with fear when discussing the Second Coming. Sister Minor suggested using Isaiah’s image of a woman waiting for birth, it can be scary but you feel anticipation of a baby coming. In the end the joy of welcoming the baby overcomes the fear and pain.


I opened a container of cherry tomatoes. The lid held a jewel. Yes, a jewel. On the lid was a picture of a harvester, but in reality the photo is of the child care worker from Hunt of the Wildepeople. I squealed with joy. Everyone agrees the photo is the spitting image of Paula. "Yeah, and I'll never stop chasing you - I'm relentless, I'm like the Terminator."

Comments

Popular Posts