R is for Rooster, Rocks, Rice, Rainbow, and Rabbit





This week preschool was at our home. The kid's LOVE the week preschool is at their own home. Amelia was beyond excited to have preschool at our home, waking up around 7 am ready to go. Monday we learned about the letter "R" and the color brown. We sang rooster songs, pretended to be a rooster waking up the other farm animals, and reading a fun book about a rooster who lost his crow. I was so excited to include science into preschool with my nerdy rock collection. I have quite an extensive collection! We read a book, measured the rocks, tasted them, observed colors and shapes, and even dipped a couple in water. The kids elected to play with our rice bucket instead of making a craft. We ended with mixing red, blue, and yellow water to make the color brown. Then we ate brown snacks! Chocolate milk, chocolate cookies, and trail mix.

Today we learned about rainbows. The kids made their own rainbows using our magnifying glass and the sun to split out prism light. We talked about the order of the rainbow colors then colored rainbows on plain paper. I found a neat idea to make rainbows with beads, pipe cleaner, and Styrofoam. Toward the end of making the bead rainbows we read "What Makes a Rainbow." A real, live rabbit came to visit our class after the book. Each child got to hold the rabbit a couple times and pet it extensively. The rabbit helped the kids color and decorate their own rings using the pop tops from juice boxes. We had a rainbow of fruit for snack.

I was a little worried about Phillip. This was his first preschool attendance as a mobile destructo-man. I was surprised that the kids had a bigger issue with Phillip than Phillip had being good. I realized the other 4 kids do not have younger siblings so did not know how to deal with a little guy invading personal space. This morning Phillip did get the high chair treatment after spilling all the beads and trying to swallow half of them before I got to him. We had an amazing time!!!

Comments

Ella has so much fun at preschool this week! The rabbit was the best!
Unknown said…
Zane loved preschool! He said the bead rainbow was made for me and put it on my night stand for me to admire. He loved, loved petting the rabbit and is now sleeping with a stuffed bunny. And, he is begging me to make a fruit rainbow for dinner. Super fun!
That sounds super fun! I miss the days when I had preschool at home for my little ones. I wonder if they remember that.... How'd you come up with the rainbow idea? I love it! Enjoy them while they are little - it doesn't last long! Congrats on the new little one!

Popular Posts