Driving Home





We enjoyed a rather lazy Sunday with the Lances down in Eagle Mountain. So nice to unwind a bit, I even got a nap! YESSSSS! My amazing friend Sarah came over for an hour that evening to visit for a while. Monday I decided to face the fact that my wedding ring was lost. I misplaced it on Thursday. I'd looked here and there for the past couple days. Freak out mode started when I had most of our stuff packed up and ready for the van, my ring was MIA. After trying to think of possible locations it seemed my ring was removed when I put lotion on Everett after his bath or it slipped off my finger at the park. I finally fessed up to Justin and got some pretty tender text messages from him. He said I was worth more to him than some silly ring. That was nice but I still felt really awful. Add the fact that my car keys (both sets) were misplaced too and I was a basket case. One set of keys were in my jeans pocket...in the washing machine...nice and clean. I grabbed those keys and drove to Mom and Dad's to spend a couple minutes with them. During the drive I remembered where the other set of keys were. Miekka called me a while later to let me know my ring was in the dryer. It was in my other jeans pocket! Phew. I must have put my ring in my pocket while greasing up the baby. Now that all the important stuff was located it was time to get it packed before I misplaced them again.

Mom and Dad were super busy unpacking and organizing all their stuff that came from Jordan on Friday. We sat in the chaos and enjoyed some time with them. I had a lunch scheduled with my awesome friend Casey. Mom offered to watch Amelia and Phillip. Heck, I could not turn that down. Right before leaving Dad decided to dish out some vitamin "L." It's been a long time since I last had a lecture from Dad. My eyes did not roll back this time. He pretty much advised me to not do so much, that having 3 kids is enough work. I do need to look at everything and simplify. That means sewing, crocheting, piano lessons, joy school, photography, and blogging need some scrutiny. Back to the bones! I enjoyed lunch at Paradise Bakery with Casey. Phillip napped on the way home, he was so tired he kept sleeping at Miekka's home too. I packed up the van while he napped.

The kids and I stopped at Courtenay's long enough to say good bye. Court had Amelia try on her cute bandanna aprons. Yep, I have a poser girl. Some ladies from my mission met at Rumbi Grill for dinner. I have not seen some of them for years now. We caught up on the news from "those golden days" over rice and chicken. Amelia and Phillip were mostly well-behaved only running around a little. I enjoyed seeing how much we've all changed over the years as we've gotten married, had kids, and such. Oh, the stories we told! Our time came to a close way too soon. I had the kids get their jammies on in prep for our evening drive to Rock Springs. Amelia needed some help so I reached over Phillip to zip her up and get her belted in. Phillip must have snatched my keys out of my pocket because the next thing I knew the doors closed and the locks snapped with all the kids inside. I watched as Phillip threw the keys on the floor. Oh Fetch!!! The police had to come and open the van. Phillip and Everett cried and cried while Amelia laughed at our antics as we tried to help her get out of her belt. My van was not enjoying getting wrenched open by a long metal rod and air pocket. The policeman would get it unlocked and then it would lock the doors instantly. Talk about nerve wracking. Thirty minutes and many attempts later the van was opened up. Oh, the snot on Phillip's face, even I was impressed. The ladies almost convinced me to stay another night after that stress. Phillip fell asleep within a couple minutes so I kept driving. We arrived to Rock Springs around 12:30 am. Let me tell you, juggling three kids and a bag into the hotel room was a feat worthy of a golden reward. I deserve a star.

The drive home was surprisingly innocuous. The kids all slept from the time we left until a little past noon, meaning we arrived to Laramie in no time. We stopped again in Cheyenne to look for winter clothes at Once Upon a Child, the most amazing thrift store for kids. Love that place. The ladies in the store even offered to hold Everett and entertain Phillip while I shopped. We made it home by 6 pm in time for dinner. We also tailed a nasty storm that trashed my garden with hail, wind, and rain. Dang it! At least the tomatoes were a little protected.

I walked into the door surprised to find a clean-shaven husband. He shaved off his goatee for my birthday gift! Love it! We had a crazy evening settling in and cleaning the sticky van. Even Everett seemed to remember home. He snuggled right into bed with no issues.

Phillip was so happy to be home. He went right back to his curious self. By 11 am the next morning he had: found my mascara, discovered the properties of flour, threw many fits, trashed the basement, and blew snot everywhere. LOL. Welcome home. Oh man, it is so nice to be home.

Comments

Aah, Phillip. I was wondering when you would throw in some of his antics. :)
So glad you had a wonderful vacation!!!
Unknown said…
Glad you had a safe trip home, with all of the misplaced items. There's no place like home. :)
Taylor's said…
Okay you had me all teared up when reading the texts that Justin gave you - then you found your ring! Amazing how we always seem to put it in a "safe" place - only to find out we can't remember the "safe" place.

I like your Dad's lecture. Less is more and seriously when I was talking to your Mother both of us were in awe of you - BOTH of us! We just kept saying I don't know how she does it! You are ONE amazing woman and an excellent Mother - those adorable (even wild at times) children could not ask for a better Mother!

And seriously - Phillip! Really?!? And then Amelia just laughing cracks me up! It reminds me of the time Malisia locked me out of the house when she was 14 months old and I could see her the whole time and she was over in the pantry re-aligning the cereal box according to height! I wanted to beat her!

Getting to a hotel that late - you are crazy! How did you do that - did you have 2 kids in arms with your bag while one walked? Or did you go and get the luggage carriage and pile them all on that and wheel them to the room?

And Justin clean shaving - I hope you got some pictures! I don't think I could remember how he looks clean shaven or if I have ever seen him with no facial hair!

Popular Posts