The World Was Waiting


























My head is spinning after all the business of last week, it was a doozy! Phillip had a medicine check for his Adderall. He is doing well on the 30 mg dose. Mostly, Dr Aldous checked out Phillip’s big toe, his big toenail is constantly giving him grief. He cuts it too short and rounded so he gets ingrown nails. It was nice to have Dr Aldous second all the advice I gave Phillip. Right after that appointment Josie had her violin lesson. Jessica decided to hold an impromptu recital at the rest home! Josie decided to play Joy to the World, Up on the Housetop, and Hickory Dickory Dock. Amelia kicked off the week of concerts with her Columbia Choir Concert at the HS. She was still not feeling well after catching strep, her throat was aching even after 2 days of antibiotics. She stayed home from school except to attend choir class. Everett finished his medieval diorama, he had to ride the bus so did not take his awesome project. I was worried Fergus would snatch it so his project rested in the garage until Tuesday. The choir concert was a long one because East Valley students performed with the HS students. I thought the middle schoolers did a fine job. I realized the main difference between MS and HS choir: the younger students only have 1-2 parts so harmony is simple. I loved that the HS students sang most of their songs scattered in the audience. Made it feel surround sound. Amelia sang right next to us for one number, got to hear her sweet, clear voice. It was also fun to see several of my own students there supporting their own siblings or friends. Music to my ears: “Mrs Call!!! I know you!” 

Phillip and Everett’s concert came next on Tuesday. The boys went to school prepared for a looooong day since they volunteered to be band-aids. That meant ensuring Everett washed his band shirt and brought clean black pants (not grease-stained sweatpants). The concert was earlier in the day at 6 instead of 7 due to another concert at Columbia HS. Everett has a goal to make it into the jazz band next year. We got to hear the beginner orchestra (Logan Ostler), the beginner band, then Phillip and Everett in concert band, orchestra, and percussion. They sounded pretty amazing! Some HS orchestra students came to perform the last number with the concert orchestra, it was fun to watch Carson play his cello. Excellent job boys. Amelia stayed home to rest, not really rest since she finished making dinner. 


Wednesday was a fun day at school. The atmosphere of excitement was more than the students could bear, throughout the day I’d hear random calls for help about this student escaping or that student needing a break in the Principal’s office. A student in Evelyn’s class was expelled for viewing very inappropriate things on his iPad, bringing a gas lighter to school with intentions to harm. Poor Mrs Curtis was in quite a state over the situation especially since the scenario involved two other students. Drama! The school closed at 3 for a “teacher meeting.” Mr Obert provided a catered lunch from Olive Garden for all the teachers and staff. He passed out comfy socks with the hope that we would all use the socks as a reminder to take some time to relax. Since I don’t know what that means, the socks will just keep my feet warm. I heard lunch was coming in but did not realize it wasn’t until 3 pm. I was starving, snarfed down two stale rice cakes Evelyn stashed in my desk drawer just to keep my blood sugars up. I snuck breadsticks out to the horde of children hanging out in my computer lab. The boys had haircuts right afterschool to get that tidy concert hair ready for Thursday’s performances. I headed over to the Brandt center at 5:00 pm for the dress rehearsal with Evelyn and Josie. They checked themselves in and settled on comfy benches to journal or prance about with friends. I volunteered to stand outside in the freezing cold directing traffic for an hour. Dress rehearsal is always a crazy affair. I am so, so happy we rehearsed at the Brandt center. This year we have over 150 new youth singers, concert logistics in the cramped auditorium were quite tricky last year! The concert logistics ladies and guy were running here and there for hours figuring out ways to make the singers all fit. I was quite exhausted myself, sat in a comfy chair to listen as the children sang their hearts out. Frosty the Snowman made a cute appearance during that particular number. Abby got a blow-up snowman get up just to amuse the singers during rehearsal. She has some very unique moves. I loved seeing all the waving flags during Joy to the World, the candles for Silent Night and O Holy Night. The manger scene. All of it was astounding, there is a miracle that happens during every concert, bringing all the moving parts and somehow making it all fit into a wondrous concert. The little girls and I left about 40 minutes before the older singers finished. The girls needed baths and wanted crinkle hair for the concert. Crinkle hair consists of numerous French braids with wet hair then dried overnight. Makes for epic “Heroine Granger” hair. 


I took Thursday off, used one entire day of my 2.5 days of personal leave left, just to ensure we were prepped, ironed, fed, bathed, and groomed for the noon curtain call. Somehow Everett’s attire was still dirty from the attire check, he never brought his attire down for laundering. I commandeered Sara’s washer and dryer just to get his shirt washed, it was brand-new so had the stiff chemicals and wrinkles from being wrapped up. His pants had white stuff from illegally wiping his hands on the pants. While ironing noticed his vest’s top button was missing, sigh, sewed the back up button on. Last concert I bought white undershirts and gave explicit directives to set aside two undershirts for concert use ONLY. Both boys brought me their whitest undershirts, which rated a -50 on the white scale, more dingy gray than white. Sooooo…off we skipped to Walmart with Ambree along for the ride. The kids wanted special concert food: bread, bread, bread, bread, bread. (Please chant bread with us) Amelia led the bread team to scrounge up dinner food and…bread. I wandered off to the men’s section for white undershirts and belts because Phillip broke another belt after only 3 months. It’s a talent I tell ya! The bread crew was easily located by following the chanting voices. We checked out and rushed home with only 20 minutes to spare before I needed to arrive for the 11:00 am volunteer time.  The little girls accompanied me since they checked in first at 11:45. I commandeered a corner of the volunteer table for attire preparation. I was ready for all sorts of fiascos, extra tights, extra socks, new jumpers, vests, ties, pockets squares, scissors, sewing kit, glue, tape, pins, rubber bands, you name it I had it! Soiled your undies? No problem! I’ve gotcha covered, in a one size fits all sort of way. I was happy to see most girls in jumpers! Only two singers had real issues, one showed up in a green plaid jumper another did not have a jumper at all. I had two jumpers ready for the girls. Miracles happened between Monday and Wednesday, four singers still did not have jumpers, I was ready to call all the other locales and plead for extras to travel up with the professors. Monday a mom texted saying she ordered two extras and wondered if I had use of them?! Um yes! Wednesday another mother brought two extra jumpers in exactly the sizes we needed. That was all sorted out perfectly. As the singers went through a real dress rehearsal I walked up and down inspecting the youth. I pulled singers out with issues, had several girls trade dresses to correct hems that were too short of long. One poor girl showed up with a FOOT wide hem…scotch taped…then ironed to the inside of the fabric. Sara brought over my sewing machine, I cut and sewed her hem right there in the lobby. In spite of all my efforts four youth chorus boys showed up with the wrong shirt, there was nothing I could do about that except take their names and email parents later! Phillip said the Concert Choir Men were quite intimidated when I rushed about snatching pocket squares that looked liked wadded piles of satin stuffed in the pocket. I spent a load of time ironing 60+ pocket squares according to standard. I even ironed half the grand chorus’ squares while I was at it. It was a crazy on your feet 6 hours of stress. Once the first concert started I gave the rest up to the Lord! It will all work out. Jenn Spackman was barely on her feet, she had the worst head cold ever and lost her voce over the course of the evening. She was practically a zombie. I voluntold Dusty to help Abby at the volunteer table, we had quite a fun time during the down moments. All the while savoring the heavenly music coming from the auditorium. 


I used my privileges to visit all my kids before the concert! It was so fun to see the behind-the-scenes chaos.  I volunteered to take photos of the concert, but was told my services were not needed. The Brandt center is not photo worthy?! I took my camera anyway and snapped a few photos of the first concert. The opening song is Joy to the World, the children come in waving flags halfway through the song with 6 young men waving large American Flags at the end. The theme was Christmas around the world. We went on a tour:

*Spain: Riu, Riu Chiu

*Germany: Stille Nacht

*Israel: O Little Town of Bethlehem

*America: Frosty the Snowman

*What Child is This?

*African Noel

*England: Orchestral Carol of the Bells

*Austria: O Holy Night, mixed with Moonlight Sonata (Prague)

*Africa: Betelehemu

*The World was Waiting

*Scotland: Far, Far Away with bagpipes

*England: We Wish You a Merry Christmas


So many sweet vignettes showed up during the concert. Mary and Joseph traveled across the auditorium during O Little Town. The sweet YSC dressed like little angels in robes and holding candles. The older youth singing What Child is This? Ummmm, tears. Snow falling from the ceiling for Frosty the Snowman! My angel children falling to their knees during O Holy Night. The soloist blowing us all away singing The World was Waiting. It was magnificent. I visited the littles between concerts, snarfed down a congealed chicken patty thing (gross) on the walk through the cold to their holding rooms. I found Josie crocheting a chain that reached nearly 10-feet in length! Her hand form is magnificent! If a 2nd grader can hold a hook and yarn like Josie does then those gnarly 4th and 5th graders sure can learn. Evelyn introduced me to her new friend, a very cute young man! Whoot-hoot. Justin and I sat in the second row, not the best seats because we couldn’t see that far upstage. He reminded me once again to get seats a few rows back next time. We had prime seats to see Everett and Evelyn! Amelia, Josie, and Phillip were on stage right most of the concert. I was excited to catch a few sights of Phillip this concert! He was stuck by the harp instead of next to the organ. Everett took charge during their last entrance, the line leader wouldn’t make a new row. Everett shrugged and charged onward making the front line. He had quite an earful with the bagpipes just a foot away from his ears, maybe that is why the line leader balked…she knew what was coming. Blown away once again with our 6th MCO production. In my mind it is no longer just a concert, it is a production. 


Justin headed home with Phillip right away. It took me longer to get all my gear schlepped back to the van. Then off to help with dismissal for the younger choirs. I was unable to get all the jumpers, extra tights, ties, and socks back from those I loaned the items from. I tried to take good notes but it was moving very fast at moments. Now…how to get my emergency supplies back?! We got the holding room back in order before heading home. The kids begged for a Sonic treat, sure why not? I was rather parched myself. A cherry limeade sounded close to heaven right about that moment. Phillip started crying when we arrived home with treats and not much extra to share. He was very disappointed we did not tell him that was our plan…there was no plan buddy! He could’ve begged Justin to take him. I donated 3/4 of my cherry limeade to Phillip. He was still not mollified. We snugged for 20 minutes before he started telling me why he was so put out over a treat. Turns out going the next day is not special, not as special as going for a treat after a concert. 


I was at school bright and early the next morning…in PJs. Thank you Mrs Wolfe for mandating a school-wide PJ day. My gnome pants were very happy at school. Since it was Friday the kids mostly used Pickle and Mayo time, all the fun STEM toys got used at least twice during the day. Santa Tracker and Dance Party were a second favorite. The kids were hyped up on goofy balls all day. I was very excited to learn a new 3rd grade teacher is starting 02 Jan, yes, please split those large classes into classes of 24 instead of 31-33 students. I went to bed at 7:30, I was trashed. The kids all stayed home from school. Amelia brought Evelyn and Josie around 10 am because the girls had fun class parties planned. Amelia came to our school assembly at 2 pm. She said if her school assemblies were half that fun she would enjoy attending them! Each grade had a skit ready for everyone’s entertainment. I loved 4th grades’ spoof on Jeopardy.  The sing-a-long flopped per technical malfunctions. Ah well, we still had a great time. 


Saturday at 10 am the Ostler and Call family met at Fred Meyer. Amelia and Ambree whipped up a gift exchange list and made 3 groups of adults/kids to shop for an epic shopping trip. I was teamed with Dusty, Evelyn, and Carson. I was shopping for Ambree. Dusty had Josie and Carson shopped for Phillip, Evelyn scored Logan’s name. It was great fun to hide everything in our carts and sneak about hoping the other groups were not loitering. Checking out was a fun challenge! The checker went along with our blanket covered conveyor belt of gifts. She was very sneaky, making sure the other teams couldn’t see! How fun! The Calls split off after that and headed to Cabela’s for our annal Santa visit. No, they are not TOO old yet. We placated the Justin with Chik-fil-a nuggets before going to Santa’s Wonderland. Amelia found new snow boots, Phillip needed snow pants, and Fergus needed new toys to destroy. The indestructible toys only last a week, I swear there is a constant litter of cotton fluff on the floor. Santa was darling. The kids smiled. We survived. Back at home the older kids quickly jumped into church clothes for the youth Temple trip. I settled down to finally edit sessions from before Thanksgiving. What can I say? It’s been a crazy few weeks.


Sunday School was quite a lesson on the book of Revelation. So many good comments. 

  • Think more of the imagery and feelings we get from the images, less on literal meanings
  • Only one plan was presented, not two, Satan’s plan would never work
  • How can a lamb defeat a dragon? Not in the way we think! When Christ came the first time the Jews expected a dragon, a glorious conqueror. Instead a lamb came, fulfilled everything in exactly the right way but opposite of expectation. Then that Lamb defeated the dragon, the weapon? Love, Charity, Patience, Humility.   

Comments

Popular Posts